Suggestions for dealing with southern heat?

Chelliance

Chirping
Jul 22, 2019
North Mississippi
I will start by saying my hens all free range on a fair bit of acreage. The outdoor flock currently consists of 11 EE about 13 weeks old. They have plenty of protein sources available and access to all kinds of shade, dust bath areas etc. We have water scattered around for them. But of course, its all warm with the oppresive heat and humidity.

Any suggestions for how to give them cooling options? I read somewhere they might like a watermelon halved and frozen.

Thanks in advance!

Watermelon even at room temp is a good treat. Cucumbers too, they both have high water content. My flock likes both. The best is to give them puddles of water to stand in and/or a mister in a shaded area. Chickens cool off by standing in cool water or mud and will bathe in the cool, damp dirt as well.

Watermelon even at room temp is a good treat. Cucumbers too, they both have high water content. My flock likes both. The best is to give them puddles of water to stand in and/or a mister in a shaded area. Chickens cool off by standing in cool water or mud and will bathe in the cool, damp dirt as well.

Yeah. I walked out yesterday and found the hens burrowing into pinestraw and using their wings to bury themselves like kids at the beach.

Misters don't do much in humid climes.
Deep all day shade is best but....
I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves. It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place. Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

Oh, and Welcome to BYC! @Chelliance
Here's some more threads about hot weather:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/search/68110596/?q=hot+weather&t=post&o=date&c[title_only]=1

That hasn't been my experience. It's monsoon season with plenty of humidity and storms here. The chickens still enjoy the mister every day. Still enjoy their mud puddles every evening.

Misters don't do much in humid climes.

That hasn't been my experience. It's monsoon season with plenty of humidity and storms here. The chickens still enjoy the mister every day. Still enjoy their mud puddles every evening.
Like how humid? 40-50-70%???
I'd think anything over 40-50% would make a mister moot....but maybe not<shrugs>

Back
Top Bottom