Suggestions for gluten/wheat free quail feed?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Aziara, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Aziara

Aziara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Please note: this isn't for the quail I want to do this. I'm quite sensitive, enough that just handing the feed can make me ill. I'm taking precautions like wearing rubber gloves and trying not to breathe too much dust in when I'm pouring it, but I still get sick sometimes.
    I don't really want to get into mixing my own feed if I don't have to--I would much rather find a mainstream feed that just happens to not have any wheat in it.
    Suggestions? I'm sure I can't be the only fan of quail who has to avoid gluten contact.

2. Fr quail

Fr quail Just Hatched

May 29, 2016
    Have you asked your local feed store(s)? They will probably know what is available and can advise you.

If they don't know or are not helpful, you could also ask what brands of feed they sell then call those companies to ask for your unique food request. If the company makes a product that meets your needs, go to your feed dealer with the name and ask them to special order it for you.

3. Aziara

Jun 1, 2016
    When I bought the current feed, I was told it was the only thing that particular feed store had in stock for quail.

I've done some online research, and I can't find a single recipe that doesn't include wheat. While I'd prefer not to mix my own feed, I may have to eventually.

I thankfully haven't got sick in a while, as I've added a dust mask and long gloves to what I term my 'hazmat routine'. I'm currently building a large self feeder out of pvc, so hopefully soon I won't have to handle feed daily, which will decrease risk of exposure.

Are they any good recipes for mixing your own quail feed? I'm already mixing food for my parakeet for the same reason. If said recipe includes wheat, what is a good other grain to substitute for approximately the same nutritional value?

4. Aziara

Jun 1, 2016
    Ok, I did find a recipe on this website:

http://thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=831.0

Quote: Any suggestions for what I could substitute for the wheat? I'm thinking of using oats. I'm considering using fishmeal for protein rather than soymeal, as I know that too much soy can screw with female hormones. Maybe I'll start up a mealworm or red worm colony or something for extra protein.
    The quail will be in a mobile pen on the ground, so they'll likely be eating some grass and the occasional bug or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by