1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Suggestions for how to organize eggs in the fridge and winter laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by troppoli, Jan 10, 2017.

1. troppoli

troppoli Just Hatched

May 19, 2016
    We have a mixed flock of 10 hens that were born last spring. My husband made a skelter that we had displayed on our table and it was great because you always knew which egg to use first. We live in New England and it is full on winter here so since the eggs are sometimes super cold when we get them from the coop it seems like they should be stored in the fridge. Problem is I can't figure out how to manage the eggs in egg cartons without having to do a ton of shifting around of eggs. We are getting between 2-4 eggs a day now that it is freezing out. I know eggs are going to last in the fridge a very long time (we don't wash them) so I'm not worried about them going bad, but I like to use the older ones first, or if I am eating something that won't be throughly cooked I may want to be using my freshest eggs. The Skelter won't fit in the fridge and I don't want something that takes up a lot of room.

Second question, we aren't heating our coop at all (just have a water heater) and I was expecting the egg production to stop completely, but so far it has just slowed down a lot. I am very happy to get 2-4 eggs a day because I was going to be annoyed by paying for feed and having to buy eggs, but we have decided against putting a light in to trick the girls into laying more. We have Easter Eggers, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Black Australorpes and Cuckoo Marans. Is it because it is their first year that they are still laying and future years they won't? Is it the breeds? And is it more the cold or the length of day that reduces their egg production? The days are already getting longer, but we have several months of cold left.

thanks for your help!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Day length is the factor more likely to affect egg production. Why not mark the date on the eggs as you store them ?

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure why you're wanting to store the eggs in the refrigerator now? I'd continue to keep them on the counter in the skelter. If it's been working until now, why change?

Temp doesn't effect egg production, it's length of daylight. Your first year girls are doing okay for the winter, but expect them to cease completely next winter after they molt. They'll shut down for 3-4 months, then resume production in the spring as the days start to get longer again. You can use a light after they molt to get them laying again sooner, or plan to stagger your flock (add new chicks this spring) to have eggs year round each year.

1 person likes this.
  4. troppoli

troppoli Just Hatched

May 19, 2016
    Thanks for your response. If it is 10 degrees out or so the eggs get very cold very quickly. I thought that it was ok to keep fresh eggs out but you couldn't start leaving them on the counter after they had been refrigerated, which basically they have been brought to that temp.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    When we get enough eggs that it's hard to keep track, I will write the date right on the eggs with a pencil. I usually keep them on the counter until that basket gets full, then fill an egg carton and date that and put it in the fridge. (Jan. 1-7 or whatever your eggs say.)

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I know folks get worked up about the "once in the fridge, they have to stay in the fridge", but I've brought eggs in from the cold coop all the time. I store mine on the counter in the kitchen and they do just fine, even if they've been in the cold coop overnight (as long as they don't freeze and crack!).

But, if you want to keep them cool, just use say two cartons. Rotate one, then the other. Or write dates on the eggs if you want to track that close.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by