Suggestions for Incorporating a Door in a Hay Bale House

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by elliemae0, Oct 17, 2009.

1. elliemae0

elliemae0 New Egg

Jun 17, 2009
    My husband and I have spent the day building a chicken coop out of Hay Bales, and we're trying to decide on how to incorporate a door into it. We were wondering if anyone has built a structure out of hay, and how they handled the door. (We have a large Wood-built chicken house, but the new spring chickens are getting "butted out" by the older chickens that have used it for 2 years, now. So, before cold weather hits, we're trying to get them out of roosting in trees (their preferred roosting spots) into warmer quarters. We have done an incredible job on the hay house, reinforcing it with rebar posts driven into the ground and tarps on the outside, but now we've got to figure out if an opening is sufficient or if we need to come out each night and lock them in. I've read the posts about how necessary doors are, just from the standpoint of predator protection, though we've never had much problem at all where we live (in the suburbs of a large metropolitan city). Our property is fully fenced, so the only possible predator would be a possum or racoon which could climb a fence (we've only seen a couple in the 5 years we've lived here.) There are roosting boxes in the hay house as well, so we need to leave enough room in the door frame (or at least leave it movable) so that we can get in each day to collect eggs. Can't find many hayhouses just googling the internet, so thought I'd ask for your feedback!

2. TheChad

TheChad Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Bucyrus Ks
    I have no idea on how to put a door in it but I would love to see pics of it.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Set some posts in the ground tight against the wall to use as a frame for your door

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I too would love to see some pics!

5. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I would loooove to see pics of your haybale coop!

I want to try one out but every time I mention it DH's eyes glaze over [​IMG] LOL

And yes, I'd think you would need a door. Maybe set 4x4 posts to hang your door on and have a latch?

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd sink two posts, even just well-sunk t-posts, and frame the door opening between them.

Pat

7. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Would love to see a picture [​IMG]

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Buy a door with a frame a put hay bales around it.

Or make your own with the posts as aforementioned.

We had a couple when I was a kid.

Eventually we just used old WWII bomb boxes for the coops.

9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I love to see it, too, and I was thinking that having the option of closing that door may prove vital if a raccoon or an opossum gets interested. Bales could be used to make a porch for wind deflection around the pop door too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by