Suggestions for lack of sunlight during day

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PeepsAreForMe, Oct 31, 2013.

1. PeepsAreForMe

PeepsAreForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Pemberton Borough, NJ
    Where our coop is in our yard it does not get much sun in the fall / winter. Are there any artificial lights that simulate sunshine? I know vitamin D is important for them. I don't want it for better egg production, they do just fine but I know they need some sunlight. The front of the coop faces west and in the summer the sun beats in their protected run. I made an awning so they have shade and it made a huge difference. But winter is coming and I've taken the awning down but they don't get enough sunshine. I would guess about 20 minutes in one small corner in the afternoon.

I thought about putting another window in the south facing wall but have not suggested that to my dear husband yet. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance! Here's a picture of my setup.

[​IMG]

Here are the summer curtains and awning.

[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It looks nice and looks like your have ample natural light.
    What makes you think they aren't getting enough sun?

3. PeepsAreForMe

Apr 10, 2012
    Pemberton Borough, NJ
    The sun does not reach inside the coop during the day now that it is fall. And since I recently had a hawk scare they have not even been out in "their" yard. They were out Saturday morning and I was inside and heard all four of them making quite a ruccus. I went out to see what was up. The people door was open but they were all inside. As I walked up to the gate one of our resident chipmunks ran in front of me along the front fence. Then I saw the hawk swoop down and grab him. I closed the door and let them settle down. I went back outside to see if the hawk was still hanging around,and no sooner did I see him land on a wire behind our house, my roo (in my picture) Mr. Big was clucking again. He saw him too. So they've been in ever since. I miss the chipmunk though! We used to have two of them . . .

4. DLV58

DLV58 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    Nebraska
    That's a cute set-up your flock has

5. PeepsAreForMe

Apr 10, 2012
    Pemberton Borough, NJ
    Thank you! They seem to like it!

6. kakayona

kakayona Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    Stratford
    Put a standard UV garden light in their coop for about 2-3 hours a day. I put mine on a timer from about 2 1/2 hrs before sunlight till 1/2 hour after. I never put mine on before night because they can't tell when it will shut off and won't be able to perch. If they never really leave their coop I suppose in the afternoon will suffice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by