suggestions for laying hens less likley to fly the coop :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by scottchy, Apr 21, 2012.

1. scottchy

scottchy Out Of The Brooder

Hey guys

My name is scott, me, my wife and my new 1 month old son, Ethan live in keremeos, British Columbia, Canada where our summers can reach +40 degrees celsius and out winters can get as low as - 25 degrees celsius with the wind chill. That temp does not last, it only happens about once or twice a winter, average is between +5 and -12 degrees celsius. We have a five acre farm on the similkameen river and have 4 of the acres quartered up by paige fencing. 3 of the acres are pasture,1 is ground crop and the other is what the home sits on. We have never raised chickens before but have always wanted to, we have the space, and i have recently converted a large double horse stall in to a sweet coop. We will be practising paddock rotations with our hens so they will essentually be free range. Now i have been following BYC for a while now, this is where i have gotten all my info on paddock rotations and what i needed to do to convert my stalls into a coop. So now i am at the stage where i am stuck, i have no idea what kind of hens to get, my fencing is 4 feet high so some chickens that are less likley to try to fly away or some that may be to large to fly away. Also some suggestions on the winter hardiest and possibly on reliable laying. Friendly woud be nice also. Wow sounds like i'm asking alot and i thank everybody in advance for taking the time to read this thread, and to those of you who answer......YOU ROCK and THANK YOU

Scott,Elaine,Ethan,the dags and soon the chicks :)

2. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]
    I'd recommend Rhode Island Reds. They are pretty hardy. I have leghorns and black and red stars and they're all good in the harsh winter months, but my leghorns do love to fly.

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. The Australorp, Barred Rock, Wyandottes and Speckled Sussex are good cold hardy birds. :thumbsup

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Google the henderson chicken chart, they have a lot of good information on hardiness and activity level on many pure breeds.

1 person likes this.
  5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. scottchy

cheers dreamer5577 :)

8. scottchy

Thanks 4-h chicken mom, any suggestion is a good suggestion

9. scottchy