1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Suggestions for my Leghorn :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fllpunk, Jul 26, 2010.

1. fllpunk

fllpunk In the Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Gainesville, fl
    Hello, My 5 month old leghorn has been perfectly fine up until Saturday when I noticed she seemed to want to be away from the rest of the flock (2, 4 mo. old silkies, a 6 month old buff orp, a 1 year old araucana, a 1.5 yo rir and a 1.5 years old astrolorpe) I would find her in different corners of the yard laying down on her legs (not side). On Sunday I noticed that she was really easy for me to pick up. She seems strong (as in she resisted me flipping her mon her back) but her legs seem a little limp (her toes specifically). When I put her down on the ground she immediately starts staring at her toes and biting her nails. She then goes down to her "knees" and finally back to laying down. And she will stay that way for hours. She gets up and eats just fine it seems, and when its time to move she seems to do that ok as well (I cannot see any swelling, limping or anything). But she is always starting at her toes as if they are strangers. Today she wanted to stay in the coop, but when I put her on the ramp leading up to it she had no problems jumping about 2 feet and landing on her feet and strong but she ate an went back to staring at her toes, going to the knees and back down. I saw her run this morning too, but always back to sitting down.
    Sorry for the verbose, but any suggestions?

Edit to oveready's comment : Inspected feet and legs, free of bugs and smooth, not dry. Noticed a little bit of swelling/dry blood under longest toe nail. Cleaned with peroxide and dabbed a smidge of triple antibiotic.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  2. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Songster

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    No idea, but our house chicken 'Lumpy' has a habit of looking at his toes a lot, there's nothing really wrong with him (he's got a bit of skull missing and a lump on his head) and he doesn't seem to be retarded but he does spend a lot of time looking at his feet and nibbling his toenails, but he has always done that since he was a chick.

Hopefully someone might have a better answer than that.

eta: Just as I posted that I thought perhaps it might be mites. There are mites that bury under the scales on their legs and feet I guess. I can't remember what they are called. Perhaps a search on 'mites legs' might bring something up. I think they sort of lift the scales up a little, so if she has bumpy legs/feet that could be it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  3. fllpunk

fllpunk In the Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Gainesville, fl
    bump. (sorry)

4. fllpunk

fllpunk In the Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Gainesville, fl
    RIP Helen. [​IMG]

5. Agnella

Agnella Chirping

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    Oh no! I'm sorry [​IMG]

6. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Songster

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    Do you know what happened? Did she go off her food or become obviously ill?

Sorry to hear about the loss.

7. fllpunk

fllpunk In the Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Gainesville, fl
    She started to become isolated. spurs of activity. The last night, I knew she was going to pass away, so i nuzzled her and played with her beautiful feathers. The next morning when I went to open the coop, I took a deep breath and hoped for the best, but assumed the worst. she was in the front of the coop laying across dead [​IMG]
    4 days later, at work a RI red showed up in the locker rooms (I don't know how) so I brought her home and named her The Ghost of Helen. She has laid an egg every day. So Helen lives on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: