1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Suggestions for places to advertise free roos...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Wynette, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've put them on Craigslist and Bestfarmbuys.com - I got two responses on the Craigslist add - one person wanted to know if they were all roosters or if I had hens (the ad was titled, "3-4 Free 12-week old cockerels"), the other person e-mailed 3 times to tell me they were interested, asked for my phone number (which I readily replied & gave to him), and that was 4 hours ago and he hasn't called.

I need to get these roos gone asap; this hatch was awesome (13 out of 14 eggs), but I no longer have room for them. I can't butcher them myself, so I have to find someone to take them. Any suggestions? Thanks! (Oh, I am going to put up an ad at my local feed mill tonight). Thanks!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Library branch, post office bulletin board. This may only work if you're in a small town like we are. Good luck!

3. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Take to proccesor in Fowlerville maybe?

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Craigslist, local feed stores, Chinese restaurants (they said they would buy ours for 5 bucks a piece)

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Dunno about there but here we have a couple newspapers dedicated to just offering low cost ads for animals and farm equipment. Anyone with a bit of land signs up for it and I've found homes for various animals from baby guinea pigs to rescued horses using that.

6. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Your BestfarmBuy ad is under "birds" rather than "poultry-chickens".

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  7. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Fullhouse - Fowlerville's 37 miles from here; at these gas prices, that's too far for me to drive. And, there's no way I could eat them. Although they are roos and I know they have to go, I've taken care of them from hatch, and I'm way too much of a softie to eat them.

They are on Craigslist and Bestfarmbuys now. Chinese restaurant could work....we've got several that I pass when going to work each day. Thanks, Hangin'!

8. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Fullhouse - OH SHOOT! I saw several chickens posted under "birds" - I've never posted there and didn't see poultry. THANKS!!!! :mad:

9. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    freecycle? I still have 2 to rehome too

10. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I for one am glad I finally learned how to process my extra roosters so I don't have to deal with this dilemma any more. I'm glad I don't have to watch my growing home-hatched chicks with concern over each little comb turning red and pointy hackle & saddle feathers sprouting out. I'm especially glad I don't have to spend excessive amounts of time pinning up ads and dealing with callers, most of them strangers, I'm directing to my home.

Now when I have chicks hatch at home I enjoy their fuzzy cuteness but keep my heartstings detatched until I know for sure which ones will be making breakfasts and which ones will be making dinners.

Certainly processing is not my favorite job, but this is one way I can insure that my roos receive kind treatment and hear soothing words right up to their end. I knew before that when I sold/gave away roos many of them would be butchered for human consumption, but couldn't be sure of how humanely they'd be dispatched. But even that would be preferable to being used to train fighting cocks or bait pit bulls...

If you're selling/giving your roos to someone who will process them, perhaps you could ask them to let you watch it being done, to learn how to do it yourself. You might find out that it's not as bad as you feared, and instead be able to do it yourself the next time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by