Suggestions for quality animal rescue organizations for donations

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Lobzi, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, Im looking for suggestions for various organizations that do a good and honest job in caring for all farm animals but especially chickens. Any suggestions or does anyone have any experience/knowledge regarding the ones that I have found by searching on the Internet :

1) organization, Animal Survivors Fund, 2100 L Street, NW, Washington, DC 20037

2) FARM SANCTUARY P.O. BOX 150 WATKINS GLEN, NY 14891

3) Freedom Farm Animal Sanctuary P.O. Box 2482 Hendersonville Tn 37077

4)
    The Furrytale Farm
    7988 Lovgreen Road
    Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
    Telephone: 206-842-1944
    Fax: 206-842-0839
    Email: [email protected]
    A 501(c)3 Charity

5)
    HAPPY TRAILS FARM ANIMAL SANCRUARY, INC
    5623 New Milford Rd
    Ravenna, OH 44266

Thank you for your opinions on this matter.
    Robin
    El Sobrante CA
    (lobzi)

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

petfinder.com They only adopt out from various shelters. Several rescues and shelters are affiliated with the so it is a win-win to donate to them.

3. eaganchickens

eaganchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Eagan,MN
  4. Lobzi

Oh by all means... I value all opinions. Im not going to fight anyone on anything. I just want help with make my deciscion. Thank you for the heads up on any of what I have listed there and also for any additional ones you may know of.

5. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    organization=P*TA The organization does not have any shelters, spends most of its PROFITS on 6 figure salaries and lobbying agains hunting and owning animals. People confuse it with their local shelters. There is a movement on right now to pressure the IRS to audit the organization and possibly pull its non-profit status.
    Hope this helps you with your decision.
    Slinky

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  6. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    IMO, your best bet is to pick a rescue or shelter near you to donate to. They likely bring in less money than nationally known animal charities, and you can actually check them out firsthand to be sure you support their cause.

7. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I agree with donating to a local charity or shelter. It's the best way to guarantee your money is going directly to support real animals that need help instead of the money being spent on whatever else. I'm part of a small/medium wildlife rehabilitation group, and I think it's really awesome when people in the community support us because they can actually come in and see what we do and what animals they're supporting. Every single cent of every dollar goes to the animals and their food, medications, vet bills, caging, and other supplies, as no one is paid at all. Find something nearby like that and your money will do the most possible good for actual animals. [​IMG]

Good luck, and good decision, choosing to donate to a charity.

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    If you look up MissionFish- they list animal rescues (and other non-profits) by area. We occasionally sell on ebay and WorldofGood and a percentage of our sales goes to a charity from a HUGE list.

www.missionfish.org

9. Lobzi

Thank you all so much for the feedback. Im looking at MissionFish right now! Oh and I took Farm Sanctuary off my list of potentials.

10. LizFM

LizFM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    In general, it is better to make sure you're donating to an animal welfare organization. Animal rights is a whole other ball of wax. Animal rights groups are the ones who think people should not have pets or eat meat at all (including eggs!) and that it's cruel to keep animals in any way confined (like in a coop, away from predators).

A LOT of animal rights groups masquerade as animal welfare organizations to get donations (organization sure does this), so you have to be really careful if it's not a local group you can physically check out. They do NOTHING to actually rescue and care for suffering animals. They are a lobbying group only.

In terms of chicken-specific ...

Honestly, outside of a local humane society who would take in owner-surrenders when people can't keep them, or take in animals seized by the law for abuse/neglect...I don't know how a rescue place/farm would even get ahold of chickens? I mean, think about what happens when BYC people have to give up their chooks for whatever reason...they contact other BYC people, they put them on craigslist, the send them to freezer camp...I don't think most people go looking for an animal sanctuary or rescue for chickens. Do they? [​IMG]

And I know, back when we lived across the road from a commercial egg place, THEIR chickens, when they reached a certain age, were trucked down the road to the Campbell's soup plant. Selling old hens to Campbell's was a part of the farm income from a laying operation. They certainly didn't 'rehome' their hens with a rescue group. They might have *sold* old hens, to someone who is idealistic and wanted to give them a good life...but (and this is just MY opinion here) a sanctuary that buys hens from a place like that is just contributing to the problem (if you see battery cage laying hens as a problem), even if it does help the individual chickens they buy to have a better life for a while. It doesn't seen cost-effective to me. But it's not my money.

I'm not saying there is no need for 'farm sanctuaries'...I might just not know about it. But honestly, the whole thing makes me a bit suspicious (I am kind of naturally a suspicious person about these things)...the point of raising an animal for food (in the case of a pig, steer or meat chicken) is that the animal be (humanely) slaughtered and eaten. Not 'rescued' to live out a 'nice life' somewhere. Laying hens I could see, but as far as I know the need for homes for them is taken care by individuals like I described above. I don't know who would see a need for a farm animal 'sanctuary' except those who believe farming and eating meat is wrong. There could be legitimate places that I just don't know about.

I am just thinking out loud here. I think it's great that you want to donate and really responsible of you to check out places you're considering giving your money to. There are MANY places that help animals that are wonderful and in dire need of assistance. Places Like Noah's Ark in Iowa (which unfortunately for your purposes don't deal with chickens as far as I know). The reason I've said the above is not to discourage you but in hopes that it might help you weed out places that are trying to look like something they're not in order to get your money.

Good luck! If you find someplace chicken-specific, be sure to post it here so others can find out about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by