Suggestions for rescued hen with missing feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by quietatlast, Oct 19, 2011.

1. quietatlast

quietatlast New Egg

Oct 19, 2011
    Hi everyone. I rescued a hen from a neighbor who had WAY too many roosters. She has lost and broken feathers all over her back and wings. I'm worried with cold weather coming on that she won't have enough feathers to keep her warm here in Kentucky. Thanks for any suggestions you may offer!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You could make or buy a saddle https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=155123 or even pick up a small dog sweater or jacket. Really though she may do fine in that climate, especially if she is somewhere like your garage that is sheltered. What she really needs though is a companion. They are flock animals and do not do well alone.

3. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    I have a frizzel like that. We put a heat lamp in the coop and shes doin well! Its been almost a year since I got her and shes just starting to grow them back. Heat lamp her or bring her in the house. If you can find a all weather heating pad (like for a dog) and if she doesn't roost that would be a good way to go also. You can see my girl by looking under my topics "and in the red corner". She will do just fine [​IMG]

4. quietatlast

quietatlast New Egg

Oct 19, 2011
    Thanks so much! Sorry I worried you flockwatcher...I didn't give enough information. She is with my flock of 10 golden comets that I've had over a year and she's fitting in just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by