Suggestions for Safe Plants in Run

Debbi

Crowing
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Missouri
My coop/run is almost done! My chooks will be so happy, as will I. The top of the run is fenced in and has support beams extending from the coop to the side top rails. This looked like a perfect place for me to hang some flower baskets! Going one step further, I thought about a vining type of plant that will add shade to the top of the run for them.

Does anyone have any good, pretty, and SAFE, as in non-poisonous, vine type plants I could use? I don't want anything that could shed poisonous seeds or leaves into the run. I live in central Missouri if that helps any. Thanks!!
smile.png

I know that. That is why I figured I would hang potted plants from the rafters to grow over the fence roof. Nothing down on their level, either in or on the outside of the run.

My chickens loved to spend hot days underneath the Euryops that are planted in my yard. A couple even tried to nest underneath them. The plants grow fast and have woody stems/stalks, so the chickens couldn't massacre them before they grew up. I think they realized that having the shade they provided was better than eating the plant...
lau.gif

euryops_pectinatus.jpg

I plan on planting a few more along the fence of my run, they have lovely yellow flowers that seem to ALWAYS been in bloom. Plus they are very, very drought tolerant.

Hi Debbi, I have grape vines planted inside my run. You can buy vines at your local nursery that have a central trunk that is 4-5' tall, with the vines growing from the top. That keeps most chickens from reaching the tips of the vines. They do love to eat them and it was GREAT fun watching them jump up for the low-growing grapes. My run is 4' X 40' and three vines distributed along it's length cover it well. This fall I will plant snow pea pod vines to take place of the grapes once the first frost takes out the grape leaves. Here is a recent pic:
56638_grapesonrun2.jpg

Thank you Gallo, that's what I had in mind!
big_smile.png
Snow peas sound like a good idea too. I also thought of Nastursiums to put in the pots that will hang from the beams. The roof is 6 foot tall, so the chickens won't be getting to the plants. Even if they did, nastursiums are edible. Grapes sounds like a great idea, one for you, one for me, one for you...
lau.gif

This is a list for birds in general, I believe.

The following materials
are not safe if toxic
chemicals or insectides
have been sprayed on
them. Before installing
them in any cage, scrub
all branches with a
non-toxic disinfectant
(such as diluted chlorine
bleach), then rinse and
dry well.

SAFE BRANCHES
ASH
CITRUS (ANY)
DOGWOOD
ELM
EUCALYPTUS
GUAVA
MADRONA
MAGNOLIA
MANZANITA
NUT (EXCEPT
CHESTNUT & OAK)
PAPAYA
PINE
PRUNE
RIBBONWOOD
SASSAFRAS
THURLOW
VINE MAPLE
WILLOWS:
(GOAT, PUSSY &
WEEPING)
http://www.parrot-and-conure-world.com/non-toxic-for-birds.html

Last edited:
Non-Toxic Foliage
Foliage non-toxic for birds:

ACACIA
ALOE
AFRICAN VIOLET
BABY'S TEARS
BAMBOO
BEGONIA
BOSTON FERN
BOUGAINVILLEA
CHICKWEED
CHRISTMAS CACTUS
CISSUS (KANGAROO VINE)
COLEUS
CORN PLANT
CRABAPPLE
DANDELION
DOGWOOD
DONKEY TAIL
DRACAENA VARIETIES
FERNS: (BIRD'S NEST, BOSTON, MAIDENHAIR)
FIGS: (CREEPING, RUBBER, FIDDLE LEAF, LAUREL LEAF)
GARDENIA
GRAPE IVY
HEN AND CHICKENS
IMPATIENS
JADE PLANT
KALANCHOE
MAGNOLIA
MARIGOLDS
MONKEY PLANT
MOTHER-IN-LAW (Are we sure?)
NASTURTIUM
NATAL PLUM
NORFOLK ISLAND PINE
ORCHIDS
PALMS: (ARECA, DATE, FAN, LADY, PARLOUR, HOWEIA, KENTIA, PHOWNIX, SAGO)
PEPPEROMIA
PETUNIA
PITTOSPORUM
PRAYER PLANT
PURPLE PASSION
ROSE
RUBBER PLANT
SCHEFFLERA
SENSITIVE PLANT
SNAKE PLANT
SPIDER PLANT
SWEDISH IVY
THISTLE
VELVET NETTLE
WANDERING JEW
WAX PLANT
WHITE CLOVER
YUCCA
ZEBRA PLANT
ZINNIA

http://www.parrot-and-conure-world.com/non-toxic-for-birds.html

DISCLAIMER: Please do your own research to verify the information provided. If there is a particular plant that you are interested in using around your pets, research the characteristics of that specific plant.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom