suggestions for splitting a flock (need to move the rooster to the other coop/run)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 88heather, Mar 16, 2012.

1. 88heather

88heather Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Black Forest, CO
    I have 2 coops.. My main coop has 9 hens.. In my smaller coop I have chicks that I got this fall. (3 bantam hens, 1 EE hen and 1 BCM hen and a BCM rooster).. I think the rooster needs to move to my other coop so he has more hens to mate with as I'm worried about him with the bantams. I have a mille fleur d'uccle bantam and she is soooooo tiny I worry he'd hurt her.. She is fine but his hormones are kicking in and he'd be better in the other coop with a lot more full size hens.

Both flocks have been able to see each other as the 2 runs are connected so he won't be completely new to them. I was told to just move him at night and put him in the other coop. Should i move him alone?? Or take a partner and move him and the BCM hen too? I'd think he'd be better if I move him and the BCM hen with him. I just wonder how that will work.. We put him in the big coop at night and then the next morning he can see his old flock thru the run but won't be able to get to them..

Anyone have any suggestions for splitting up a flock? I'm sure there will be a lot of drama at first. I think moving the two of them together is the best.. my husband says if I move him and a hen.. the hen will get beat up but I think it's better to move him with a partner.

Any thoughts on this? :)

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    I would just move the rooster.

If you move hens around, move more than one.

The rooster will pretty much settle in to being "the" rooster.

The hens always seem to go through the entire pecking order drill. When it is one hen, she can be isolated pretty easily. If you move her watch to make sure the others are letting her eat and drink.

3. 88heather

88heather Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Black Forest, CO
    yikes i hope this works out. When I first asked one of my friends that works for a chicken place she said move him with her so they are in a pair. That would be best for hatching his eggs as I'd like the maran hen to go with him b/c one day i'd LOVE to hatch some maran chicks! I do have 2 other marans in this bigger coop though..

Ok.. i'm dreading the drama..

Thanks for the reply! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by