Suggestions for: toddler friendly heritage or rare chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 1SkyBird, Mar 28, 2018.

1. leghorn, pekin, Faverolle, Cochin, Hamburg, Campine, Wyandotte

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Any other suggestions or is there a stand out on the list

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Thanks. Kendra is the light of our lives. Oh, and we kinda liked Smudge, too. ;)

I love that shot of her and her “bird”. She knows nouns and can tell you what everything around her is....she just doesn’t converse at all. So the chickens were chickens, but because they look so different the Silkies were birds. :idunno

And yes, supervision, supervision, supervision!

puffypoo22, 007Sean, getaclue and 4 others like this.
  2. HenniesInMyHeart

HenniesInMyHeart Songster

Mar 12, 2018
    Colorado
    Well, I am biased, but my two favorites are Orpingtons and Sussex. They are friendly, affectionate birds that make wonderful pets. They are English heavy breeds. Buff Orpingtons are very popular. They are golden colored. If you want a rare breed you could go for a Jubilee Orpington. These are mostly brown with beautiful white spots. Sussex are also great friendly birds. Speckled Sussex are brown as well and look a lot like Jubilee Orps, but less fluffy and longer tails. Another very good friendly pet bird is the Barred Rock (Plymouth Rock). There is a Heritage version of this breed available with tighter bars than your standard hatchery stock. They are black and white. They're beautiful and sweet as pie. All are good layers and most are dual purpose birds. And last but not least, in terms of the best pet breeds, I have to mention SILKIES! There are even golden ones but these can be harder to find. Everyone will have different opinions and favorites, so it will be up to you in the end. Good luck and :welcome! :jumpy

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  3. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hello and :welcome! As Hennies said, Orpington’s are reknown for their cuddliness and friendliness. Good luck on your chicken adventures! ​

007Sean and drumstick diva like this.
  4. morganalefae

morganalefae Head nut at the nut house

May 2, 2017
    Leicestershire UK
    opingtons also go broody from what I hear and have read. maybe a hybrid? and does it have to lay white eggs or will andy egg colour do?

007Sean and drumstick diva like this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Silkies are generally children's favorites. They are not great layers however they usually go broody often (sit on eggs and want to hatch them). You would need a rooster for fetilized eggs, or to buy fertile eggs to put under a broody hen. You can't make a hen go broody, it is a hormonal thing.

puffypoo22 and 007Sean like this.
  6. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy:welcome:frow Happy:ya to have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

N F C likes this.
  7. morganalefae

morganalefae Head nut at the nut house

May 2, 2017
    Leicestershire UK
    Have you thought of getting hybrid chicks and imprinting them? You'll get eggs and if you imprint chicks they might be sweet as pie when older

getaclue and 007Sean like this.
  8. N F C

N F C Oh no Mr. Bill!

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

You already have a lot of good suggestions, so I'll just say hello and best wishes!

007Sean and getaclue like this.
  9. 1SkyBird

1SkyBird In the Brooder

Mar 28, 2018

007Sean likes this.
  10. 1SkyBird

1SkyBird In the Brooder

Mar 28, 2018
    thankyou it makes such a difference hearing from personal experience thanks for you great suggestion

007Sean likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: