Suggestions for turning this existing shed into a coop? Pic included!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by EmilyinAL, Jan 25, 2014.

1. EmilyinAL

EmilyinAL New Egg

Aug 23, 2013
    I have this building, you can get a reference for size by the door leaned up against the wall, on my property behind my house, very close, Im thinking this is a plus for security from predators since we're in the woods. Besides covering the "porch" area in wire, what else should I do to make it a comfy pad for my hens and rooster? The obvious laying boxes and roosting poles will be put into the house section, and Im thinking Ill just hang the door and cover the hole where the doggie door use to be ...any other suggestions? thank you!! Theyre currently in a baby bed tractor at night and free range during the day, but I want more hens, 8-10 total, and I have 1 rooster.
    .[​IMG]

2. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I would extend the run and leave that part uncovered but put netting on the top, I'm sure they will appreciate a bigger area to stretch their legs, you have a nice foundation to do what ever you want.

1 person likes this.
  3. peeweesfarm

peeweesfarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2013
    Willow Alaska
    you need to put lots of vents in there up high ,what type of winters do you have? an I would put a window in in front of the roost area but most important is ventalaion of the coop , wish I had that in my yard , an as Jetdog said extend our that coverd area out as far as you can

4. EmilyinAL

EmilyinAL New Egg

Aug 23, 2013
    In alabama, jan is our coldest month with only a few days below freezing..most of the time is 35 and above.

5. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I would extend it straight out off the front of the covered area towards the pile of wood.

6. newchicks5

newchicks5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    wi
    biger run is allways nice.

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I second the ventilation comment. You are going to need some serious ventilation for the summer months but it's just as necessary in winter as well. A sealed up coop is a very unhealthy thing.

8. UgLeeDuck

UgLeeDuck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2014
    Not exactly for the benefit of your hens and rooster but area looks to be at a premium inside the shed. I'd consider adding a porch and 3 walls outside the existing doorway. Creates a walk in storage area attached to the building and gives you somewhere to 'collect your thoughts' if you've just braved the weather getting from house to chickens. I've just done the mad dash again myself as the snow falls so it is an improvement I'm considering for mine.

I'd be looking at re-purposing the wood flooring from the proposed 'run' which will: a. give you more construction materials. b. allow the ground under there to be accessed especially for dust baths. c. means that you won't have to keep cleaning it ;)

9. ChooksDownUnder

ChooksDownUnder New Egg

Oct 23, 2013
    Oooh that looks like a fun project! Lucky you to have such an asset on your property. Like everyone else I would wire in the longest/biggest area you can spare either off the end of the roof or to the side of the building - with its own gate so you can take a wheel barrow in to get scratched-up, poopy soil for the veggie garden easily. I would also increase the ventilation under the apex of the roof. I would put a panel of laser light ( clear roofing material - not sure what it is called in USA) to act as a skylight in the house (increased daylight = increased laying period). I too would lift the deck flooring to expose earth underneath for dust bathing and cleaning purposes. Hooks under the verandah roof to hang water and feeders, a pop door into the new run area. And paint, paint, paint everything as you go - fence posts before putting the wire on, the house inside and out, the new nesting boxes and roosts - paint will help to preserve all that hard work you are putting in and help prevent mites taking up residence in the nooks and crannies of the timber. I also think the idea of a 3 sided entrance is a good one - you could put up a rack on one wall to hang spade/shovel, broom, dustpan and brush etc also gives you somewhere to store a bin of feed and sawdust or hay for the house floor. Love to see the pics when you're all done, please keep us posted, you never know this might be a "coop of the week" winner! Cheers LizS

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What an interesting little shed!
    Ditto on reuse of the 'deck' under the roof extension.

Lots of ways you could reconfigure it, if the framing inside is on good shape.

Is there a floor inside?
    Are the walls in good shape where they meet the ground?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by