Suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bookspryte, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Bookspryte

Bookspryte Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    I just completed my first time hatching and have had mixed results. I now have four adorable and healthy barred rock chicks who were born without any problems.

My first chick, however, had problems with its yolk sac being ruptured and glued to the chick. I've cleaned it up as best I could and it looks funny but is very spunky. The last chick was too big to turn to zip the entire egg and ended up glued in place. I knew it would die without intervention so I did what I promised myself and helped.

The problem is that both of these chicks are ready to go into the brooder, but the four bigger chicks are picking on them. Also, the brooder doesn't seem warm enough for them, so I've turned the incubator into a temporary hospital brooder for them.

I'm not sure if either of them will make it, but I'm going to do my best to give them whatever shot they need. My question is what would you suggest to use as a temporary brooder until they're big enough and fluffed enough to put with the bigger chicks.

If they don't make it, I want to know I at least did the best I could for them.

Denise

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Can you make a little separate area? Take a shoe box or a tupperware piece and put hardware cloth over the top of it, with their own separate food and water? The other chicks can get used to them that way, but can't pick on them.

3. Bookspryte

Bookspryte Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Thanks, for the suggestion. It never occured to me to partition off the brooder. I was thinking about having to construct something separate. I'll give it a shot.

Denise

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by