Suggestions Needed!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicklette 1, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    One week ago, I bought 7 Bantams that are all about the same age as my first batch of 4 standard size females. I decided to put them together after dusting them and making sure that all looked healthy. I put them in the coop and there they have stayed. They have attempted to go out side and a couple of them have been successful hanging around the door to the coop but they go back in with any disturbance around them. The others are still coop bound. The big hens come in at night and they all sleep fine together. The lowest standard size hen on the totem pole goes in and out of the coop all day. She sometimes gives a little poke to the smaller Bantams but in general, she seems to just want to make sure they don't have anything that she doesn't. It has only been a week and no one has hurt anyone. It never seems to go further than chasing but it is enough to send them right back into the coop. The run is 20ft x20ft. and there are a total of eleven birds. The coop is the amish built 5x8 so it is large enough to hold a lot of chickens.
    OK, that is the background.........now how do I get them all outside together? The weather here in KY is just beautiful and even though I have all the doors and vents open so they do get a lot of fresh air and even some sun in the coop, I would like to see them getting along outside together.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I also grab one of them at a time and sit holding them outside for a while and talk to them reassuringly.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Is the run covered and do you have hawks? They might see something that you don't.
    My Silkie roo (one of them) saved the lives of his flock by noticing a hawk that I didn't.

If your run is covered, then they just need to explore at their own pace. They will wander out there eventually, according to my experience.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  3. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    Thank you.......and yes my pen is completely covered. I thought that I would let nature take it's course in integrating them but just wanted to make sure it was OK. This is only my second batch of chickens so I'm really new at a lot of things and having this forum is a great comfort to me as I don't want to do anything that would not be good for them. Since I added my topic, the weather has gotten really windy and much colder here. Supposed to be 35 here tomorrow. When I went out to the coop, I found my big girls in the coop as well. They do not have many problems when they are together in the coop and for that I am thankful. I will just wait until they venture out more and more on their own.
    In this last bunch of chickens I got, were a pair of white silkies and I just love them to death. They had not been handled but will come up to me when I sit down and they will eat out my hand. I have a Polish and an Easter Egger who are scared out of their wits of everything but I guess with time they will get to know me.
    Thanks again.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I just read about your two silkies on another thread. They sound so cute!

I LOVE my silkies. They are almost not chickens, they are so different. Mine are trained- all I have to say is "silkies-free range" and they all come running out to their fenced in area for grass. Then I say, "Silkies-shoo", and they all obediently trot back into their run (which has no grass anymore). Incredible little guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by