1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SuttonsDaze, Nov 22, 2013.

1. SuttonsDaze

SuttonsDaze Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2013
    Mikado, Michigan
    One of the new hens, to the best of my husbands knowledge never left the coop today. She's hunkered down into the straw. I went to check her out when I got home tonight and she let me pick her up, flip her upside down, check her out every which way I knew how. I don't see anything but when I put her down two of the other hens picked on her. Appearing to peck her in the head while she went all submissive and ducked. I don't feel a blocked egg, but who knows... im new at this. I don't see any injuries.What did seem to catch my eye is that she's not walking far. It's not crawling persay, but a step or two above. When I put her on the roost she sits there and then someone comes to pick on her. I placed her in a nesting box and she's well enough to jump out and then make her way to a corner where she dug out a little bunker. Any ideas?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    She's being bullied to extent of hiding out. You may need to keep her in a small cage in run for a few days to let the others get used to her. Some chickens need more care and time when introducing to flock than others.

3. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    She's getting picked on if you give her time to adjust to the new surroundings she should be fine, try giving some treats and maybe she will come out.

4. SuttonsDaze

Jun 1, 2013
    Mikado, Michigan
    I'm sorry,she's not new to the flock. Bad wording on my part. She's been with this flock since June.

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Oh, then my guess is she's gone broody. If you don't want her to hatch some eggs then put her in a cage with no litter and raised up for air flow for a few days to break her.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I don't want to freak you out, but I have one that started doing something similar, refusing to walk, just wants to sit, not egg bound, not broody... I suspect mine has Marek's.

-Kathy

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Many things can cause hens to be lethargic or inactive. Has she ever been wormed? Does she feel thin? Mites and lice can also cause weakness, so I'd look and see if she has any.

8. SuttonsDaze

Jun 1, 2013
    Mikado, Michigan
    Thanks everyone. I just went out to check her out again and feed her some warm scrambled eggs. She ate but is not walking anywhere. She doesn't react to my checking out here legs and feet and stands on the roost when I put her there but doesn't move so i'm going to research the things you have mentioned and will see how she is in the morning.

Thank you for your help and suggestions. I appreciate it very much.

9. SuttonsDaze

Jun 1, 2013
    Mikado, Michigan
    She hasn't been wormed but does not feel thin. She feels healthy in every way that I can tell. Cannot see any mites or lice but will inspect closer when there is more light. Thank you for the input

10. SuttonsDaze

Jun 1, 2013
    Mikado, Michigan
    Kathy, Thank you, I am going to research this right now. Did your go from perfectly healthy to current condition apparently overnight?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by