1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Suggestions on a mystery death???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Titania, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Titania

Titania Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    Yesterday I found my 8 week old Coronation Sussex, Duchess, dead in the coop. [​IMG]
    I was absolutely shocked. I had been out taking pictures of the chickens the day before and Duchess seemed completely healthy. No runny noes or eyes, no sneezing or coughing, no weird droppings, no sick behaviors. I'm guessing either she ate something poisonous in the yard (but what?) or is it possible that the fallen heat lamp had fallen on her and killed her?

Here are the pictures I took, not knowing I would find her dead the next day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here is a picture of her rear. I wasn't looking for a pasty bum so this picture isn't the greatest, but looking at it, I don't think I see any symptoms of a pasty bum or diarrhea.
    [​IMG]

When I found her dead, she was stiff, except for her neck. Does that mean her neck was broken? Or is that normal? I'd love help figuring out what happened to my Duchess. She was only 8 weeks old and I really had no indication anything was wrong. thanks for your help!

2. chic-a-boom

chic-a-boom New Egg

Jan 5, 2011
    So sorry about your hen. I too found a dead hen in my coop Thurs. She had been active and bossy as ever the day before--she was the alpha hen. I've had a total of 3 sick hens each several weeks apart, and now 2 dead. Like you, I suspect poisoning and am concerned they ate something in my yard. I posted in this forum and got help, actually nursed 2 back to health, although one then died Thurs. (after what appeared to be a full recovery). She too was stiff except her neck.

Other people mentioned that you can take chickens in to be autopsied at agricultural schools or ?? I hope someone w/info on this will reply as I am interested in finding out what happened before I lose any more hens. Maybe you could find out more this way too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by