Suggestions on moving my broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FisherMOM, Oct 27, 2008.

1. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    This is our first time doing this and I would love some advice...
    I have searched and stumbled through posts on here trying to get some ideas at no avail.
    My Cochin hen's eggs are going to hatch any day now... some where around Oct. 30th and Nov1st.

I have a dog crate ready and was thinking of moving her and the eggs there today.

Do you think it is possible to move her and the eggs?

Are hens known to continue to sit on their eggs in a different location?
    The location is still in the shed with the rest of the chickens, but it is on the other side of a wall.

I am afraid that the other chickens might try to hurt them,
    and she is going to be mighty protective of them, I'm pretty sure of that.

I have another nest box that I made up to put IN the crate.

If I can do this successfully, then I have more concerns.

I haven't got straw, I use shavings for the nests. I am afraid to introduce straw to my hen yet as it might confuse her.

Should I just put shavings all through out the crate, or only in the nest?
    If shavings is a bad idea in the whole crate, I am more than willing to use old towels..
    I realize that newspapers and slippery surfaces are bad for new chick's legs. I figure Midnight might
    scratch up paper towels looking for food, if I use paper towels.

Holy cow, did that make sense?
    I am so nervous, you'd think that I was the one having a baby!

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My opinion.. I've always moved the broody within the first week that she started setting. If it was me I'd wait now til the hatch is finished and then move her and the chicks in the evening at dark when she is ready to settle for the night. I'd keep the shavings, maybe place the feeder and waterer on paper towels or a puppy pad til the chicks get use to it. I find those easier to clean up then wet shavings.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I've moved broodies at any point in the incubation, some at a few days before hatch. Just make sure she is not allowed to get too far away from the nest, so she doesn't forget where it is.

You could always wait till the eggs hatch, then move mama and babies all in one.

4. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I moved my broody, Churkey, at Day 17 or 18 to a separate location and was successful. I worried about it but my hen was determined. I use hay all the time (in the coop and brooder). I'd offer that if you have a stubborn broody (rarely leaves the nest if at all) who is very comfortable with you, it shouldn't matter. Good Luck, Fisher!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by