1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Suggestions on my neighbor's cat...(long)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Love my Critters!, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    My neighbor has a cat that is about 1 year old. He is an unneutered male. I have 2, 9+ year old neutered male cats. My cats just hang out in the back yard. Anyway the neighbor's cat comes over and eats my cats food, and that has been a little upsetting. Anyway, now for the last 3 days, that darn cat is sneaking up on my chickens. I have silkies, 1 roo, 4 hens, 1 hen with 5-6week olds, and 9 juvies - 3-4 months old. So they are all small. My cats are old, 1 is declawed (done before I rescued him) and the other is missing a front leg (reason I rescued him) so they are not really fighters.

The cat is a strictly outside cat. We are friends with our neighbors and they are pretty responsible pet owners. I haven't mentioned anything to them yet because my husband said if he catches the cat chasing and stalking his chickens, the cat will be gone (dead). If I tell the neighbors, then the cat comes up missing, they will know we did something to it. AHHHH [​IMG] I just don't know what to do. Can anyone give me any suggestions? I know the cat is just being a cat, but he is doing on my property, to my babies, and that is what p*&&#s me off!

Thanks for any opinions or suggestions.

2. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    The first thing you should do is communicate your concerns with your neighbors, and see if they're willing to fix the situation. If they're not willing, well . . . as far as I'm concerned, an unneutered cat that is kept strictly outdoors is not a pet cat, and I would treat it as such.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Move the food to a place where your kitties can get it but the other cat can't...like in the house?? Or?? As for the sneaking up thing...if you're home a lot, I'd get a squirt bottle & put white vinegar in it...and squirt away.

4. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Does the cat always come around? Reason for asking, is it IS mating season for them. i would talk to the owners. We have two unneutered male barn cats. Although they are great, i wouldn't be too disappointed of they did happen to disappear. they only wander when it is season. if i was asked, I would keep them inside until the season was over.

5. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Thanks for the replies.
    As for feeding my cats, they have to stay outside on the back porch. I have their food up on a table for them. One of them started spraying the inside of my house when my daughter was born and my husband is somewhat allergic. I work 3/4 time away from home, but I will try to spray him with some viniger water when I'm there.

He has always bothered my boys, but only started bothering the chickens with in the last week.

6. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Put your cats in a box and call some owls. [​IMG]

I know it wasn't any help. Owls were always getting cats when I lived in the Land of Enchantment.

Red or green? or have I already asked you.

7. bugladyleah

bugladyleah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    PA
    I know this sounds harsh...but I would shoot and shut up. Unneutered animals of any type should not be left to their own devices. That is irresponsible in itself and if that creature was stalking my chickens, I would have no trouble dispensing of it. We have tons of stray cats here that my elderly neighbor feeds (no vet care, just food!) so they are really prolific, so I feel your pain.

8. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    we have a roaming tom who drops by to eat my cat food, my cats male & female have been altered, although they all stay outside I consider them as pets, they get loving attention every day. The roaming tom belongs to our neighbor, I'd prefer it if he didn't stop by as he likes to fight with my cats. Yes the neutered toms fight also. He hasn't bothered my chickens so I don't complain, as this neighbor has alot of things happening in her life and I don't want to add to it. If this isn't the case with your visitor I'd mention the fact that a cat has been tryin to catch my babies and let things go from there, cats disappear all the time.

9. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    We made the mistake of talking to our neighbor about his dog and now we are stuck. Our only option is to keep calling him to come get the dog. He was in my duck's nest this morning and attacked my small dog today. Yes, we could shoot the dog, but the neighbor's would know and they'd never speak to us again....we're very good friends. We could take the dog to a shelter far, far away, but they would always be suspicious about what happened to the dog and it would hurt our relationship. His inlaws live very close and are retired, they would most likely catch us loading up the dog.

I suggest you load up the cat and take it to a shelter/rescue, several towns away. Don't sign it in under your name, just in case, but get rid of it. The cat hasn't killed anything of your, so I don't think it deserves to die, but I do think you should rehome it.

JMO!

10. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an un-neutered tom. He comes and goes as he pleases. I also live on a 100+ acre farm. If I ever caught him messing with my chickens Chance (my cat) would be dead! I have about 30 or so peeps running loose right now. He doesn't even look at them. But oh boy show him a mouse and he has it caught, killed, and eaten before you can even blink! He is a good ole boy. But if I had to choose......my chickens hands down!

**I am just saying I as an owner myself would get rid of my cat if it was stalking my chicks***

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by