Suggestions on new chicks to flock ???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by globug44203, Dec 6, 2011.

1. globug44203

globug44203 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
    Hi All...
    In the spring we are wanting to expand our flock and I have been studing on the different breeds and what we are looking for in a chicken...But here is my delemia, I have never raised anything but barn yard and special reds or as some call them production reds so I need some input of what is your favorite chicken and why....
    So far we have thought about Cochin (because I hear they are the best brooders) and Easter Eggers (because the are great layers)... So please give me your advice and anything you can offer about the breeds you have raised and loved....
    Thanks so much for all the help....

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Gee, first I need some info from you.....What are you looking to raise the chickens for? Meat? Eggs? Both? Those are very important questions.....

3. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Quote:Good question! [​IMG]

I wanted cochins because they are so pretty, are pretty certain to go broody, and are good mommas. I'm not really counting on them for great egg production.

I wanted brahmas because of their size, beauty, and temperament. Knowing they too might go broody, as well as be decent egg layers was a plus.

I LOVE my leghorns because they are funny, small, and fantastic egg layers, though I know they won't be raising chick babies.

I wanted to try a variety of random egg layers, australorps came up in the number 1 spot for this. I read they lay very well, will sometimes still go broody, and are generally very docile. I hear they taste good too (when I get to that point!) I saw a video of a flock in the sunlight and thought the green and purple tint in the black feathering was just so pretty.

You need to decide what you want out of your chickens, and go from there. [​IMG] Here is a very helpful link when researching breeds. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

4. globug44203

globug44203 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
    I guess I want it all....I want to be able to raise my own chickens, I really want egg layers...we love fresh eggs and I want to be able to have meat chickens also....I love all farm animals but at the same time I am not vegatairain (not sure on the spelling) [​IMG]
    I do want to be able to sell some eggs and chickens (to help pay for feed and extras)...I want my chickens to be pets and productive at the same time....[​IMG]
    I was raised on a dairy farm and we had all kinds of animals but over the last 20 years have lived in the city and wasn't able to have any kind of "farm animal"...we have relocated back to WV (to stay with my ailing mother) and have 12 acres to be able to use and my husband wants to be able to raise hogs and beef cows and I want to raise chickens and goats...so our little piece of heaven is going to be turned into a mini farm....This is where I am the happiest and my husband is loving becoming a mini farmer also [​IMG]

5. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    My VERY limited experience...I have ten hens of four breeds, all in their pullet year. I have definitely seen differences in laying, personality, etc. in each individual, as well as tendencies by breed. Things could certainly change, but, as it stands, I don't think I'd get Brahmas again. I would absolutely get Barred Rocks and Buff Orpingtons again. All signs are that my BOs will be broodies at one point or another. One of my Production Reds is a machine; the other is not laying or hiding her eggs.

I want some EEs next spring, even though I've read they're unreliable layers. I must have green eggs. I definitely want some Australorps.

6. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I find the best dual purpose chickens are Brahmas. They lay well, taste good and brood occasionally. You can always add a Silkie or silke mix to the flock as your brooder just to be sure you can keep reproducing if you want meat for the freezer. Good luck on your adventure [​IMG]

ETA They are also one of the friendliest breeds I have ever dealt with! Great pets!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  7. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    I just love my Buff Orpington gals and my Silkies. Despite what everyone says, I have a flock of 6 Silkies, 5 hens and a roo. I get 3/4 eggs a day from the girls and one, Big Mama hatched two chicks on Sept 21st and is now sat on 7 eggs due to hatch on the 11th. My Buffs are the sweetest hens ever. I also have Brahmas, Ameraucanas, Black Sex Links, Barred Rocks, Holland Rocks. I love em all!

8. snipercp

snipercp Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Nottingham
    i am hopefully get some more laying hens and im defo going for barred rocks but also im DESPERATE for EE's

9. partsRheavy

partsRheavy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    First build a hen house!! They need a place to call home!!

On 12 acres with interest in eggs and sometimes meat, you probably want one of the larger dual-purpose breeds or mixtures of dual-purpose breeds.

10. Emily1220

Emily1220 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Florida
    My BO's are the friendliest of all my birds. They always come up to be pet and talked to even when I dont have treats!!! And they all give me an egg a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by