Suggestions on setup of coop

cknhobbiest

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 3, 2010
Branch,MI
Ok if the rain stops here will be putting the remainder of the shingles on a 12x20 coop and seriously concidering how to set up the inside of it. The few ideas I have so far are 4 4x8 sections and a 4x4 brooder with the remaing 4 foot section at the front for storage. Each of the sections will be along a wall with a center isle the chicken doors to outside thinking of sliding ones with a rope thru eye bolts running to the center isle to open and close them. Roosts built with hinges so they can be lifted to the rafters for cleaning under them and each section will be sectioned off with chicken wire. Breeding 2 different breeds so figured keeping the breeding in the front two and the back two for cockrels and pullets. Have another 10x10 for layers located at another place on property. Suggestions?

Thanks
Wes

Will all these pens open into separate runs? Or do you let your individual breeds out one at a time?
I envy you the size of your coop-

seperate runs one per side and one split out the back. The hen house is all free range so figured the cull pullets/hens would go into the layers. Will probably end up keeping the pullets and cockrels together in one pen and using the other one for meat birds but that will only be for summer months.

Well right at the moment the floor space is totaly empty and ready to frame the interior fencing and cut all holes for the outdoor run areas. And the Hen house now has RIR in it and all the culls will basicly lay white eggs so it will be 3 breeds

here is a picture
62153_p1010009s.jpg

I guess it would fall under the title of a big coop. The loft area is over 3' high and will have a floor put down on it.

Here is one side of the coop getting done the other will be a mirror of this one ... this is two 4x8 pens framed in with wire started to be put on.
62153_side.jpg

This is looking from the back to the front door
62153_back.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom