Suggestions on Temporary Housing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jakoda, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    am thinking ahead, this spring we will be rebuilding my Dutch Barn that got demo'd during Storm Sandy.

The chickies (9 standards) will need to have temp INDOOR housing for atleast a month, I am 'thinking' of building a temp coop inside their run which is 12 x 20+- , What size can I reasonably do without them being freaked out ?

I was thinking of doing a 4' H x 4' long , 4' "wide'? wider? longer? put 3 nesting boxes in it and their poop board/perch on top of the nest box..

We literally have to rip the roof off what's left , remove the back wall (picture below) take everything out, and pull the walls back in to square it back up.

Any ideas on temp housing??
    Thanks in advance

[​IMG]

below is what the barn looked like before storm sandy
    [​IMG]

Just to add, our rebuild plans will be the same barn/shed, but the center doors will be on the far right, two HUGE windows next to each other on the left side, and chicks will end up with the left 1/2 of the inside for their coop area..

2. Jarrett Dobbins

Jarrett Dobbins Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2013
    North Carolina
    I think your dimensions are great although I would recommend that you make the temporary coop a little bit taller and a tad bit wider [​IMG]

3. Jakoda

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    I think your right, I measured out 4 x 4 and darn if I know how I'll be able to bend down to get in there to clean out! Even tho it's temporary, I want to be able to easily get into it...I was thinking "plywood piece sizes",,so heck I may just go with the full sheet, so I can use it elsewhere when I'm done..
    Thanks

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    If you've completely secured the run, as in have welded wire down around bottom to prevent diggers, then why bother making much more than a lean-to shelter with roosting poles in the run for temporary shelter? You are talking about spring chicks after brooding right? Even if full grown just make a temporary nesting box in the lean-to also.

5. Jarrett Dobbins

Jan 25, 2013
    North Carolina
    I like that idea. that would be a nice size coop. I would actually build a small section for them the roost and sleep in then finish building the rest then just connect them togeth. By the way, i like your older coop. Very nice.

6. Jakoda

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    thanks for the ideas/suggestions..

The temp housing is for my current 8 mth old chickens, I have to totally knock down the rest of the shed to rebuild,,so with no shed, they have no indoor coop.

My run is definitely secure, I am snake paranoid, and believe me, I don't call it Fort Pox for nothing:)) I am probably over worrying they will stress out having to roost/nest in a totally different smaller space than what they've been used to until my rebuild is finished..

7. Jarrett Dobbins

Jan 25, 2013
    North Carolina
    If you close off the are where they normally roost and offer to them another place while you are rebuilding, the chickens would know where to go and they wouldn't mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by