Suggestions on topical antibiotics?

dustbath

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Washington County, NY
Can anyone suggest a good topical antibiotic I can use on my rooster's comb? He gets pecked or fights and it bleeds a lot. I'm afraid it will get infected.

I usually just use neosporin ointment but he won't let me touch his head. The feed store recommended something called Furall (furazolidone). Has anyone used this? Is it recommended?

Thanks!

Yes, this product is used mostly on horses. It is ok to use, but I would use Blue Coat and PLEASE REMEMBER:

NEVER use a product that has benzocaine or any other "numbing" type chemical. These are TOXIC to chickens.

Furazolidone is a suspected cancer causing agent. wear protective gloves.

Furoxone (furazolidone) is one of the synthetic antimicrobial nitrofurans. It is a stable, yellow, crystalline compound 3-(5-nitrofurfurylideneamino)-2-oxazolidinone .

Good luck, Hope you have a sensible roo.

I use Furall to spray on wounds after I have sewn them up. Because it's a yellow spray, and icey cold, I wouldn't try spraying his comb because I would be afraid it would get in his eyes. I've doctored roos combs with just neosporin and they've done fine. Try wrapping him in a towel so he can't move his wings and feet and you will be able to work on his comb. Idonine might also help dry peck wounds.

Quote:
Yeah, it's a livesaver. It's a spray on antibacterial, it's yellow so it prevents pecking and it repels flies and promotes drying so the wound can heal without getting maggots in it.

I've sewn up many hens, ripped wide open down their bare backs - just sew them up with needle and thread and spray with Furall and they've all healed beautifully.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The difficulty I have in doctoring his comb is the way he moved his head: too fast for me to get a bead on the spot I'm aiming for. I end up globbing it on the wrong place.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Yes, cradle him like a football in your left arm with his tail under your left arm and hold his head steady with your left hand. Apply meds with your right OR just the opposite, cradle him in your right arm with his tail under your arm and hold his beak with your right hand FIRMLY. Apply meds with your left hand.

Back
Top Bottom