Suggestions on what to do with Unwanted Roosters

Sunshine Coop

Songster
Apr 1, 2020
Monroe Pennsylvania
I have 2 cockerels I need to get rid of and I would like to hatch more eggs in the future which will ultimately give me more roosters. What is the best way to get rid of them? I already have a rooster that I am keeping for my flock. I am not interested in using them for meat for myself. I would prefer if they were going to a home that would keep them, but I am so desperate I would give them to people who are using them for meat.

I just wrote this on another thread, maybe this helps....

So this website has a specific forum for it here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing.16182/

I am guessing that this will work better if you are in a populated area, because it will be more likely that other BYC members will also live there.

I have used craigslist with pretty great results. That seems to work better in rural areas since there are usually more folks looking for roosters, but not always.

There is something called Front Porch Forum in Vermont, which is basically a listserve for each town to post announcements. I have actually had people pay me for roosters on there, just $5-10, but still something.

That is just for Vermont, but there are some other neighborhood forums I have heard of (like nextdoor.com). Maybe a web search for "neighborhood forums in [wherever you live]" may yield some results.

It is so sad to have send a rooster away, literally or metaphorically, but I comfort myself by knowing that they had a great life with me, even if they were only with me till I found out they were a rooster. Also, some of them are better off anywhere else than in a flock with multiple roosters with a lot of fighting an hardship. I try to remind myself of that in those hard moments.

Good luck!

When I have not be able to re home or give them away I have culled them. They have then gone out as fox bait. I know this way is not for everyone but it suited me. They had a great life with me and were looked after very well. The end was quick for them.

The more restrictions you put on them the harder it is to get rid of them.

You are in the US so Craigslist is an option.

The buy-sell-trade section of this forum

Find the Pennsylvania thread in the "Where am I? Where are you!" section of this forum and chat with your neighbors.

Talk to the people at your feed store. They may know someone that will take them or they might have a bulletin board where you can hang a notice.

If you are in a rural area, talk to your clergy. They may know someone that can use the meat. You may not feel so badly if you knew the meat was really needed.

When I started out I put them on Craig's list. By doing that I've gained a few great contacts of small breeders who are MORE than happy to trade me because I offer a same breed Pullet with the Cockerel. So they get a breeding pair and in exchange I get one of their Pullets. To me it's a win, win but you'd be surprised how surprised they are that I'm willing to give up a breeding pair.....

Back
Top Bottom