Suggestions PLEASE! Confused Chick!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mrsmarkham, Apr 3, 2009.

1. mrsmarkham

mrsmarkham Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    Jackson, MO
    I have eggs in the incubator that are due to start hatching tomorrow. Someone forgot to tell one lil Lt Brahma what day it was supposed to hatch. It started last night, at the wrong end of the egg. It managed to get it's beak out but until this morning wasn't peeping. It finally started making noise about 7:30 this morning. It has made no attempt to leave the shell however. All I have is a lil beak sticking out of the membrane, occasionally talking to me.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I do have the humidity up- the membrane is still moist. Anything Else I should be doing?

2. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    Sometimes it takes 24 hours or longer to hatch after a pip so i would wait it out I am haveing a lot of trouble with chicks hatching early also over 45% hatch yesterday day 20 and one on day 19. Chicks cant count. [​IMG]

3. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Mine all seem t pip on day 19 but dont zip until between day 20 and 21. My DH kept saying open the egg and help them. I had to duck tape the lid closed so he wouldnt open it! [​IMG] Be patient, when he peeps peep back at him. It seems to encourage them to zip. Good Luck!

4. metcalfmk

metcalfmk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    Give that little chickie a little more time! Sometimes it takes a while for them to struggle out of their shell. hatching is hard work [​IMG]

5. mrsmarkham

Jan 28, 2009
    Jackson, MO
    Well, another one pipped this morning and is talking to my poor lil confused baby- hope it cheers it up enough to finally finish the process LOL, It is still sitting there with just it's beak out and has made no effort to turn or get out of there.

If this lil baby makes it all the way out and starts eating it's gonna have a special place on this farm and in my heart LOL. I'm hoping it lives long enough to earn a heck of a name!

6. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    GO GO BABY LETS GO [​IMG] GO GO BABY LETS GO

7. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I wouldn't worry, it's probably just taking a little longer than usual if it pipped the small end too. As long as your humidity is good, and it can breath, it should be fine...[​IMG]

8. mrsmarkham

Jan 28, 2009
    Jackson, MO
    It finally zipped but didn't kick free of it's shell, an hour later I lost the little guy. Kinda broke my heart- it tried so hard!

9. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    That stinks, I'm sorry!!![​IMG]

10. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Oh that stinks I wonder why it didn't make it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by