Suggestions please for a separate coop/pen for a rooster

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by The Zoo, Nov 10, 2009.

1. The Zoo

The Zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    I have a 7 month old roo who is too randy to be in my smallish coop/pen with the three ladies. I want to build a tractor or something similar for him that we can keep in the larger run we have. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

He currently is in a wire dog kennel that I can move to the garage at night (he also crows a lot) to protect him from predators (raccoons and opposums) and out to the patio during the day. I also let him out into the run at times so he can bathe and scratch around and hang out with the one girl who likes him.

2. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    we have 4 roos and 4 hens and had to seperate.. we just put an addition on the hen coop inside the run..it is smaller .. no nest boxes needed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

4. The Zoo

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    I should mention that it needs to be aesthetically pleasing since our yard is small and there's isn't any place we can put it where it won't be seen. Also, I can't add on to the existing coop since it's limited in space/area and landscaping.

5. hangin'witthepeeps

hangin'witthepeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Colbert, GA
    I used an old dog house and put it in a corner of the big run and only need wire on one side and a door on the front.

6. The Zoo

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    Dog house is a great idea - how is it with predators though? The run isn't secure from them.

7. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    I have to keep my roo seperate from my hens too , but for a diff. reason...well he can be mean at times, but well the hens tried to kill him so i dont trust them anymore. Right now i keep my roo in a dog crate at night and during the day he free ranges, he loves it, but i have to figure something out for winter

8. The Zoo

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    My concern is when we're gone for a weekend or a week I don't want the woman who watches our house/animals to have to go into the kennel to change his food and water. He may not react well to her and I'm worried he will escape, hurt her, etc. I need a place where he can be safe, secure and a stranger can change his food and water.

9. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Here are some pictures of a breeding/brooding pen set up that I saved from a thread a month or two ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I want to build some for broody hens and their chicks, but I think it would work for your roo too.

10. The Zoo

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    Those look perfect! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by