1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Suggestions Please For Rooster Living Alone

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barry Natchitoches, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Songster

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    For reasons too complicated to go through here, we have a 6 1/2 month old rooster who MUST be housed separate from the other rooster and his hens.

We CANNOT bring in hens for him, we are city dwellers and way over our limit as is.

And we cannot separate the hens into two groups, because we do not have room in our city back yard for a second group. He has a chicken tractor to live in -- quite comfy, but only large enough for him.

There is a chicken wire fence that separates him from the other birds. So he is able to see them, and hear them, and even interact with them through the fence. In fact, he frequently has standoffs with the other rooster, even though a fence divides them.

But he is still separated from the other birds, when all is said and done.

It is obvious that he is lonely. He really wants a companion, but we just cannot give him one.

What can we do -- short of bringing in another chicken into the family or moving a hen in with him (can you imagine how a rooster would wear out a single hen?) -- to make life better for this lonesome little guy?

He is a really good rooster, not mean like some roosters I read about here.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010

2. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    If it was me... I'd rehome him to a family who can put him in with their main flock.

3. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Songster

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    Here in the city, NOBODY can take an unwanted rooster....

In fact, nobody around here would even know how to rehome a rooster to "freezer camp"...

Of course, I can shoot the poor little guy, but I don't want to do that.

I want to figure out a way to give him a better life.

Is there something that you folks can suggest to help improve the quality of his life, living solo as he must?

4. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Songster

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I have 1 rooster with 1 hen right now but they get along....is there a problem with him having one is he wild or something? Eventually I will get more hens but at the moment they are a match ( a couple ) and of the same age and he is maturing crowing he don't seem to be hurting her at all though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by