Suggestions Please!!

NewChickener784

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2016
First and foremost, I am not a carpenter by any means. I have a 16 long x 5 foot wide run attached to a garage that I need suggestions for using for covering it. I tried chicken wire without any support below it and it sagged way too much. I need suggestions on what to use for the cover, or how to use chicken wiring as a cover with supports, that is easy to assemble.

They have a coop that they are in right now, and once I get the cover built, they will be able to go in and out as they please. I am also going to have an outdoor coop in the run as well. There is also an extension to the run, but more importantly, I need easy ideas to use as the cover for the 16'x5' portion.

Thanks!

I'd attach a board to the garage wall along the whole length of run, wither just below that window or above it.
Then attach boards from the board on the garage to the outer wall of run to support the mesh roof.

I'd attach a board to the garage wall along the whole length of run, wither just below that window or above it.
Then attach boards from the board on the garage to the outer wall of run to support the mesh roof.

When I say I am not a carpenter/construction worker, I mean just that. What would I use to attach the boards to the outside wall? I assume use wiring to attach the covering to the boards?

Ya! Attach a pressure treated 2x6 to the house wall at whatever height you want using leg bolts and washers.
Hard to tell in pic, but looks like vertical steel siding on your house?
If so you shouldn't have a hard time identifying the studs in the wall.
"You will want/need your leg bolts to go through the wall and into the wall studs"

Then get three 4x4 posts cut to length, and three concrete deck footing blocks that the 4x4 posts will fit into.

Then another 2x6 the same length as the one attached to your house.
This one sits on top of/ bolted to the three vertical posts you have created.

And finally, install 2x6 between "higher"house 2x6 and "lower" free standing three post 2x6.

What ya do from there and how far to space your 2x6's for the roof is dependant on your climate. Snow etc. As well as what you plan to use for a roof.
Steel, plastic, shingles etc..

Hope the explanation is decent, and that's just what I would do.. No expert :)

Willing to give more advice/ help tho :)

Best of luck

Quote: Well, maybe you can ask a handy friend to help...or hire someone?
I would not attempt to pierce that metal siding without some skills.

Although I have the skills to do the task, I so not have the skills to explain to you how to do it over the internet......
......some situations take 'in person' assessment and adjustment of technique/materials.

Sorry.

Last edited:
Or, have the 2x6 that goes against the house on posts with concrete footing blocking as well so the whole unit is free standing and not attached to house.
Probably the safer bet

Back
Top Bottom