1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Suggestions please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FroFro, Oct 17, 2016.

1. FroFro

FroFro New Egg

Oct 17, 2016
    Came home from work to my polish with a wound.
    Not sure what happened or how it happened. Any suggestions to what happened and what I can do to help with the wound would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

2. rooster reggie

rooster reggie Just Hatched

Oct 17, 2016
    Citra fl
    Hello I'm very familiar with these types of situations, I live on a small farm in FL, and our chickens are fairly harassed by raccons, opossums, and foxes.. To help your wounded bird all you need to do is get a table spoon of sulfur and mix it into a cup of water, and pour it on to her wound.. It will not hurt your bird, This is a cheap way that will guarantee your bird health!! Also be sure to separate her from any other birds until her wound has healed, cause the other chickens will constantly peck her... I do this all the time

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  3. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    I use veterycin wound and skin care spray (the hydro-gel stays where you put it), available at many feed stores and tractor supplies.
    It is good for all species, you may find it in the dog supplies.

4. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

x2 on the Vetericyn - I've had good results with it, it's easy to use (spray) and ok even if it gets in the eye accidentally.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I believe he has been pecked? Possible attack? I am leaning towards pecking....Wash it with a antiseptic cleaner spray and spray him with Blu-kote...He might be a bit Randy with the ladies or they are becoming bored?...Up the protein to the hens feed...I feed a 50/50 grower grumble and Layer pellets...

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by