suggestions please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by agnes_day, Jan 16, 2010.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    well, i havent had chickens in months now, due to my idiot neighbor and his campaign to try and kill them all but he is now a non issue, thank god. we are building a nice big run that will be attached to our chicken house this spring and i would love to hear any suggestions on how many and what breed would be good for a smallish backyard flock that should maybe stay under the radar. luckily, no one can even see into our yard anymore but i still want to avoid any trouble. i am thinking 5-6 hens?
    its hard to believe one guy could cause so much trouble, but he receieved a huge backlash from when we were in the paper and has since avoided us like the plague and we believe he is moving soon.
    [​IMG]

2. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    Nice to see you came out on top. What do you want your chicks for eggs, meat, pets. I have welsummers, marans, delawares, barnvelders, manly for eggs. All are very friendly and ez to keep. Most of the time they stay quite so no one complanes . Take a look here http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html mayb you can find a breed you like that will fit your needs. good luck

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    buff orpingtons and barred rocks have got to be my favorite. sweet, nice tempered birds.

4. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    i am thinking of buff orpingtons..i had one before and she was so sweet..and i also had barred rocks, aracaunas, etc..stupid neighbor!
    well, stupid me for not realizing what was going on until it was too late.
    at any rate, this spring will be much better i think.

5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Also, b.o.'s by themselves get along really really well with each other, in my experience. Minimum of fighting and whatnot.

6. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    I vote for BO's [​IMG]

7. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    so can chickens be happy in a run? that was my biggest issue..mine loved roaming the yard, and i didnt want to cage them up, but that will be the only way i can have them from this point on. we are going to make it out of wire cloth and it will be of a decent size.

8. valentinebaby

valentinebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sherman-Denison, TX
    I have buff orpington, new hampshire red and easter egger's. My EE's lay almost as well as my BO's and NHR's, but the NHR's lay the best. All are great chickens, but the EE's aren't as people friendly. Do a lot of research and I recommend that list mentioned above - it's what helped me decide. I knew I wanted good layers and that's what I got.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by