suggestions please

agnes_day

Songster
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
oklahoma
well, i havent had chickens in months now, due to my idiot neighbor and his campaign to try and kill them all but he is now a non issue, thank god. we are building a nice big run that will be attached to our chicken house this spring and i would love to hear any suggestions on how many and what breed would be good for a smallish backyard flock that should maybe stay under the radar. luckily, no one can even see into our yard anymore but i still want to avoid any trouble. i am thinking 5-6 hens?
its hard to believe one guy could cause so much trouble, but he receieved a huge backlash from when we were in the paper and has since avoided us like the plague and we believe he is moving soon.
big_smile.png

i am thinking of buff orpingtons..i had one before and she was so sweet..and i also had barred rocks, aracaunas, etc..stupid neighbor!
well, stupid me for not realizing what was going on until it was too late.
at any rate, this spring will be much better i think.

so can chickens be happy in a run? that was my biggest issue..mine loved roaming the yard, and i didnt want to cage them up, but that will be the only way i can have them from this point on. we are going to make it out of wire cloth and it will be of a decent size.

I have buff orpington, new hampshire red and easter egger's. My EE's lay almost as well as my BO's and NHR's, but the NHR's lay the best. All are great chickens, but the EE's aren't as people friendly. Do a lot of research and I recommend that list mentioned above - it's what helped me decide. I knew I wanted good layers and that's what I got.

Back
Top Bottom