suggestions? Please!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fantastic4, Apr 16, 2012.

1. fantastic4

fantastic4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    [​IMG]
    I built a 3/4 in plywood box 12in high and 2f 2in X 2f 11in. It has ceramic tile (scraps) on all sides and bottom (not top.)
    2 socket fixture is mounted on back (short) wall. I have a modified Lower Hotwater heater thermo. about 3 inches from fixture and fan on opposite side.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is where i need help.... I am holding a great constant temp, but not even temp. If I deflect the direct heat/light will that work?

Is HWH thermostat more sensitive mounted backwards?

suggestions on evening temps?

I am trying to stratigically place vent holes to pull air from back to front. suggestions?

2. I can only suggest you make the holes at the back, closer to the floor and the holes in the front, closer to the top. That should make it go the direction you want.

What on earth are you building? Is that an incubator or a brooder?

Evening temps? For chicks? During their first week, I pamper mine pretty badly. They have 24 hour light so that they can eat and drink, getting a really good start. Then I start transitioning them from lights at night to totally dark with a heater in the room, keeping the chill off the air and I have a large heating pad under their shavings that they sleep on top of... this keeps them toasty warm. Plus they pile all over each other and that keeps them warm too.

3. fantastic4

Apr 6, 2012
    LOL guess Without the turner water etc it does look confusing. An incubator. Thats the concern with uneven temps.

4. judsenn

judsenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    wow, thats quite the Bator! Cool

5. fantastic4

Apr 6, 2012
    now if i can get my few minor qwirks worked out we will see how it goes :)

6. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats a nice looking incubator, you should use a wafer thermostat. They aren't very much money and your temps will be more stable.

7. DoodleLydoo

DoodleLydoo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    I have built 3 incubators and have had great success with all 3. I always mount the thermostat so that the back is facing the lightbulb between 1 to 3 inches away. Right now I have a cooler bator and I have a twirly bulb and the thermostat is underneath the bulb actually touching it. My low temp is 99 and my high temp is 100.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by