Suggestions regarding evacuation?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BorderKelpie, Dec 9, 2009.

1. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Just recieved a phone call yesterday afternoon from my parents. Apparantly there is a damaged levee close to my home. THe word is now that one heavy rain could burst it. I am approximatly 1-1 mi. away according to GoogleMaps. There is a possibility of an evacuation order this winter. Any suggestions on safely transporting everyone and how to be prepared? I know, have all the crates ready, get animal vaccination records and human birth cert, and SS# cards, etc protected and stored, but, any other things I need to know? Please. I'm a little nervous. I have 7 special needs dogs and 6 parrots (most are rescues and hard to handle), plus the chickens and ducks. I want everyone to be safe and secure.
    TIA

2. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Do you have a destination planned? I've read that shelters don't allow pets. If it's a friend or family, maybe a tightly lidded garbage can of supplies: food, meds, pet first aid, shop light for heat. Or have temporary quarters (shed, corner of the garage). There's probably lists already out on the internet for this kind of thing, but I don't know how to word that search.
    If you are not home when the evac order is issued, you probably won't be allowed back into the danger zone to retrieve your pets. Sorry. That's quite a group to move. Could you talk to the powers that be (fire, police, emergency response board) about this?
    edited to add, lots of tarps, rope to make covers and shelters.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  3. BorderKelpie

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Unless I'm at work, I don't really leave the house, so I am hoping I will be there if they call it. I am thinking (hoping) they won't call it, but I want everything in place in case they do. I have temporary destinations lined up and am working on long term arraingements for the critters just in case I loose the house altogether.
    I will put in in God's hands, but since God helps those that help themselves, I thought it would be wise to be prepared.
    When I go home this morning, I will gather up all health records, get crates pulled out and ready, trim all the parrots wings (yippee!) and hit the feed store for emergency rations and to let them know what's happening in my neck of the woods. They are very sweet and helpful there. I want to make sure I can run a tab or something if needed.
    I am also going to update my emergency kits (one human, one animal) and load them in the car. I figure I can rent a U-Haul and carry off what I can as far as cages/kennels,etc.
    I guess I will just prepare everything, hope for the best and expect the worst. What lse can I do?
    What do I do about the three bantams in quarantine, though? I don't know how to transport all the animals without exposing everyone to them.

*breathe * it'll be ok

4. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    3 bantams in isolation together or separate? Front seat cage...

5. BorderKelpie

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    They're together, they're new to my flock and as their quarantine was coming to an end, one pullet started sneezing. So, I just restarted it. I don't want a flock of sick chickens, I'm wondering about boarding them at the vet clinic or something. That sounds expensive, though. Oh well. THat's life.

6. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    [​IMG]
    What a nightmare to worry about.

Placing plastic or cardboard or wood between the quarantined and the others is you best option. A different vehicle would be even better. All you may be able to do is restrict direct contact..... or place them in as high and dry of a place as you can.

7. BorderKelpie

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Ok, well, wish me luck. I'm going home to get ready, just in case. Thanks for the ideas, guys. 'preciate it.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by