suggestions to get the humidity up in a Brinsea eco 20....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Long Last Farm, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Long Last Farm

Long Last Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Southern Tier, NY
    Hi! I lock down first hatch in my eco 20 about 6 hours ago. I filled both water channels and also added a wet sponge. I can only get my humidity up to 58%. I have the vent closed halfway. Any suggestions on how to get the humidity higher?
    Thanks, Pat

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Close the vent. You can allways open it some as humidity starts to go past your target and as they start to pip and zip it will really rise, to which open the vent some more to stay around your target humidity.

3. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    YEP you have to close the vent all the way...I put a wash cloth under my tray and wet that with warm water...it worked well. JEN

4. Long Last Farm

Long Last Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Southern Tier, NY
    Thanks! I was lear of closing the vent all the way--the instructions say leave it 1/3 open, but if it works for you guys, I will try it. If that doesn't work, I will add the washcloth in addition to the sponge...

5. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Maxi pad with water under the tray worked great

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Jen, I think I'll use your wash cloth idea, but I'm worried about closing the vent....What if I'm not home? Can they suffocate?

7. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    If you look in the back (other side from the adjustable vent) you'll see another vent with two little water drops next to it they will get air thru there even if the front vent is closed. Besides that I don't think their all that air tight I know if you overfill the water it will sure leak out as soon as the turner tips it all the way. My last hatch had the same problem and I closed the vent and it was fine. I'm sitting here looking out the window at the little girls from that hatch running around the yard.

Good Luck With Your Hatch Dan

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Ok, the Brinsea 20 Eco is now in lockdown. I used the washcloth as one lady mentioned, and the humidity is 71. Isn't that too high? Or will it decrease in the next few days and be OK....Hatch date is Friday......

9. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    I have had really good results using strips of the sham-wow material under the egg tray. It holds water forever. It adds even more humidity than the wash cloth, not critical for chickens but when hatching geese I needed the extra boost.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

There are small holes in each corner of the bottom, yellow case, so there IS air exchange, even with the vent closed.... Not a lot, but chicks won't suffocate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by