1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Suggestions to LOWER humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sma200, Apr 13, 2016.

1. sma200

sma200 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2015
    My incubator has not had one drop of water in it and the humidity has stayed steady between 60-70 percent. The air cells are still too small, and they go on lockdown on the 15th. I have never had this problem before. It's probably because we have had so much rain lately, but I will lose this hatch if I don't bring that humidity down significantly to get those air cells bigger.

I have placed napkin with rice in it, as well as a napkin filled with corn starch. This helped drop the humidity by percent, but there is not enough room in the bator to add anymore. My husband suggested silica packets, so I went through every type of pill bottle we have and found a few, but it hasn't made a difference yet and I probably need way more.

Any suggestions to help lower the humidity even more?

Incubator has a fan.

2. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Dehumidifier in the room.

If you want silica try a hobby lobby or a flower shop they might have it in larger quantities. I think it's used for drying flowers.

Remove or open all vent plugs on the bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by