Suggestions??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MammaDuck01, Oct 21, 2014.

1. MammaDuck01

MammaDuck01 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2014
    Arkansas
    My chicken just recently tried to rip her toe off. Luckily she didn't. Just ripped some skin off. I've got her toe healing wonderfully but her weight and size is bothering me. She is the same age as the rest of my chickens but the others are 2-3 times her size in body, legs, and feet. She just happens to be my slim chicken and I realize she must be the lowest in the pecking order. But she has been isolated from the others and inside for about a week. I think she might be loosing weight. Her appetite is great, she's drinking water like crazy (it also has antibiotics in it just in case), her fecal matter is abundant and normal consistency, and she is in no way lethargic at all. She gets fed twice a day as well. Need suggestions asap please!!!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    If you are concerned about her weight/body condition you may want to consider free feeding vs. 2xday feeding. Also, since you mention you think she is losing weight, start tracking her weight daily and you will be able to easily confirm/rule out this possible issue - and address it accordingly if need be.

3. MammaDuck01

MammaDuck01 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2014
    Arkansas
    I'm lucky enough to get her to hold still long enough to wrap her toe properly lol but I'll give it a shot. I got a scale when I got my ducklings to track their growth so that should work. I believe she is an white leghorn. She's about 8-9 months old. Any idea of about what weight she should be? She has gotten to where she graze feeds out of the bowl so there is always feed in there. I have started taking her out in the yard for a bit everyday now that the flesh has grown back over the knuckle bone but she is also eating dog fecies while we are out there. I know that's a sign of a defitiency but I'm not sure what. What can I give her to stop that? I'm not new to chickens I just haven't ever had this kind of thing happen. She's my special chicken lol

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by