Suicidal chicken, good dog!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gritsar, Sep 1, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    As I posted before, Lil'Bit has decided to be a yard chicken and doesn't free range with the flock anymore.
    This created problems with the new puppy. He's very protective of the yard and wanted to chase LB.
    Following some excellent advice from a BYC member, we taught the pup that chickens are not to be chased. Such a good boy!
    Problem is, we take the pup outside and when Lil' Bit sees him she comes running right up to him.
    What's a poor pup to do?
    Most folks have to worry about keeping the dog from harrassing the chickens. I have a chicken harrassing the dog. [​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Who's in charge there? You, the dog or the chicken? I hope it's you!

I have to draw lines in the sand for dogs, chickens and occasionally DH! [​IMG]

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Obviously Lil' Bit is in charge, but I already knew that.
    I was coming back from the coop a little while ago when I saw her getting into it with a hen twice her size (over a bowl of yogurt). Lil'Bit walked away with a whole mouthful of that hens feathers. [​IMG]

4. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    I would just teach Jax to be nice and accept his new hen companion. But I would also let LB know that it's not nice to peck him.

5. NCchickenman1958

NCchickenman1958 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2009
    Mint Hill N.C.
    we have a dog/chicken war at our house too. one of the red sexlink hens ( attilla the hen ) has a tendency to peck at my wifes little poodle ( foofoo ) and the other day when karen had foofoo one the leash walking her attilla came up behind her and pecked her on the behind! needless to say foofoo went after attilla and iI swear I could her attilla laughing as she ran away and my wife held foofoo back. this is not the first time the two of them have gone at it but it is funny to watch.

6. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    attilla the hen

that's funny [​IMG]

7. henryetta

henryetta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    san diego, cali
    on this idea, i have two shih tzus (ok foo foo's) that used to mingle super well with our chicks. All of a sudden, (and im thinking it's because of a resident falcon who got a roughing up by our hens, thuss them thinking they need to keep the yard clear of outsiders) our dogs are not taken well of by our girls. Poor doggies get chased away from they're own yard. Any suggestions for me???

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I wish I did. Our problem stems from the fact that Lil'Bit and the other chickens were used to Charlie Girl, our big dog that recently passed away. The chickens walked all over Charlie, even took food from her mouth.
    I'm working on getting the pup used to LB being around by just sitting in the grass with both, talking quietly. They just have to spend time together to adjust, but always under my supervision.

9. henryetta

henryetta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    san diego, cali
    ya know gritstar, im on those lines as well. Im attaching my dogs to me (via leash)and having them sort sit with me when i go to give treats and share time with my peeps.. I really cant discourage them (hens)from protecting they're area (they dont have a roo to help) because that part is good, but to have taken a dislike to my sweet dogs that feel very much protectors of the hens just is sad. I'll be sitting 'with' them all tomorrow and re-introducing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by