Suicide gene

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Invision, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Invision

Invision Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Washington, Kitsap County
    Is it just me or is there a suicide gene in Cots, I've been watching all my batches each time I hatch and it seems that I have the gene. 1 out of 40 birds always commits suicide after 8 weeks. I've been writing it down each time and for the last 6 hatches they have all had 1 or 2 commit suicide at week 8.... I have my quail in a 9 to 11 inch slope cage to cut back on that but for some reason these birds still insist on jumping and dieing... Just thought I would share, I'm going to continue to keep track of this and maybe after a year or two I can find the suicide gene.

2. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    My guess is it's actually a survival gene that's slightly misplaced in their current, domestic situation.. I suppose something scares them and causes them to try to get away from the scary thing. Could be the other quail, if it always happens at week 8 - right after they've reached sexual maturity, there could be some territorial/hormonal fighting going on.. Or maybe they are just more likely to try to hide when scared before week 8 and too fat and content to try to fly after that time ;)

1 person likes this.
  3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

How high is the top of your cage?

4. Invision

Invision Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Washington, Kitsap County

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by