suicide?

happychicken

Chirping
15 Years
Mar 26, 2008
I think my 8 or 9 year old chicken is committing suicide. Last week she had some really sparse droppings and had quit eating her feed. Figuring she had some kind of parasite, I took her fecal matter in to the vet for testing. It turned out she had no parasites or worms. He gave me some antibiotics and iron liquid just as a booster. I gave her the meds but she still would not eat her regular feed. She would eat some of the goodies that I usually give her (cheese, cream cheese, rice, corn chips, etc.) But now, today she won't even eat some rice and she is not drinking any water.
I think her time has come to leave this earth on her own terms.
Anyone else have any experience with something like this?

Really sorry to hear. I've experience more than my share of death in the last couple of years. It's an unfortunate side of having animals. Sounds like she's lived a good lived life, probably is not committing suicide, but if she's old and completed her life then things might be shutting down which would result in numerous reasons she won't eat. If you've done what you can vet, vitamin, and love wise....

Sometimes the day comes when we all have to make tough decisions if our companions cannot do it for themselves. I've been on each end of the spectrum with this, where one of my buddies just keeled over in the middle of the day, and I've also had to look into the eyes of my best friend, recognize his pain, and take him to the vet.

There's no easy or right decision, advice is to try and make the decision for them and based on their circumstances.

My opinion, and that's all it is, would be if she seems happy and living a good chicken life, then let her be. If not, then you need to do what's right and feel at peace with it for helping her.

Thanks to all who replied. Of course, you are right. She is just ending her life and it’s a natural thing. I just wasn’t expecting this and it makes me so sad.

Back
Top Bottom