1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Suing parent for child support?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by LittleChickenLady, Jul 22, 2011.

1. LittleChickenLady

LittleChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    Does anyone know anything about that? I've been told that I should look into it, but I have no idea how to even start.
    My dad was gone all of my life until a month before I turned 18, and expected me to be his best friend.. which I'm NOT wanting to do.

But anyways, back to the money he owes me. Can a child sue a parent for not paid child support when they're an adult?
    I'm 19, in case that matters.

Thanks in advance for the input.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I wouldn't think a child can sue the parent. Child support is intended to aid the custodial parent in the the expenses of raising a child. In other words, it is not the child's money and it is not intended to provide the child with a nest egg. Raising children is expensive. There are the obvious expenses - food, clothing, education, sports etc. And the less obvious - higher electric, gas and water bills, the need to own/rent a larger space and drive a larger vehicle, gas to get the child to and from his/her activities and so on. When parents are together, they would normally share these expenses as the child grows up. When parents are not together, they are still expected to participate equally in the financial expense of raising the child. So no, your father does not owe YOU any money. He may, however, owe your mother for back child support. It will be up to her to sue for that money.

3. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    I can answer this from my perspective; ... I hate to be blunt and hope I dont come across as crass I'm really NOT meaning to..

the money is NOT for the child...the money is for the custodial parent ...who paid all upfront for all expenses etc for the child they
    had custody of...its like a reimbursement...almost..for lack of better terminology..if any money was owed..iti would be for the custodial parent..

Sorry, its a sore spot right now..I just made a post about all this yesterday here lol...

Whatever happens..you DONT have to be his best friend...I tell my 20 yr old this all the time...but at some point in time..you may
    want to hear what he has to say...

HOWEVER: ETA:

I googled it really quick and it depends on your state...most of the google answers were worded that "can I or my mother sue my father" etc...
    you may just want to meet with a free lawyer mtg!
    Hugs!!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  4. LittleChickenLady

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    Thanks guys.
    I didn't know whether or not I could get anything, and that's why I asked.

My mother definitely doesn't deserve to get the money, she's just as much of a deadbeat as he is. [​IMG]

Thanks for letting me know though.
    I'd really hate to have went to a lawyer or something and waste money on something I wasn't going to get. [​IMG]

5. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    While I am guessing your mom did not provide you with the home you wanted. If you lived indoors, ate and wore clothes she did provide you with something and that something was probably a whole lot less than what she could have provided if she got that child support check.

6. LittleChickenLady

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    Quote:Ah, that's helpful. [​IMG]
    I've been told from several people that I could sue him, and that I should consider it.
    Maybe in my state you can. [​IMG]

7. LittleChickenLady

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    Quote:Actually she never did any of those things. I lived with my grandparents..

8. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Then your grandparents are due the child support.

9. LittleChickenLady

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    My grandma is actually one of the people who have told me I can sue him.
    She's a social worker, but I don't know if she really knows much about the matter.

She wants me to "get the money I deserve".

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:If you do get anything, I hope you will be generous with a monetary gift to your grandparents whether they tell you they want it or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by