Suitable wood in the UK

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sam1980, Jan 30, 2014.

1. sam1980

sam1980 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    Hi we're wondering what wood us suitable to build our coop from? A few woods mentioned I have never herd of here.

2. Irishhenman

Irishhenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    Ireland
    Use exterior grade plywood. It is weatherproof if given a coat of weather treatment paint. It is also easy to cut and is pretty cheap too.

3. sam1980

Jan 24, 2014
    Thanks. Would that be marine ply? What about the wood for the frame? Im assuming tantalised is poisonous?

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If it does not touch the ground, it does not need to be treated. Just build the roof with a slant so water runs off and does not stand. As stated, painting really helps too, but you don’t need to paint the inside. Just the side exposed to the weather.

I don’t know what chemicals they use to treat that specific wood. The chemicals they are using now are not nearly as nasty as they chemicals they used to use. I personally don’t have a problem using treated wood for posts or any supports that touch the ground, but that is a personal decision. I can’t tell you what to do.

5. sam1980

Jan 24, 2014
    Thanks. I know that they don't chew wood. I just wanted to make sure I didn't use anything harmful to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by