Sulfa-Nox for the sniffles? REALLY NEED INPUT HERE

Chellester

Songster
12 Years
Jun 22, 2007
Nor Cal
A couple of my chickens have the sneezes and sniffles.I went to the feed store and asked what I should use, and the guy there gave me Sulfa-Nox, saying it was a "broad spectrum" antibiotic. I was hesitant at first, and was going to ask for one of the Terra or Tetra-type anitbiotics, but then I figured since I am new to chicken meds, I would trust his judgement figuring since he worked at a feed store, he knew what he was doing.
hmm.png

I have been giving it to my birds for 5 days now, and their symptoms have only worsened. Did the feed store guy know what he was talking about and I need to be patient, or was he full of beans and I need something else?

Last edited:
I really don't have any experience with this, but if it were me, I think I would either call the feed store (or another one) in the morning, if nothing else.

Hopefully someone more learned than I will chime in soon for you.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I took away the Sulfa-Nox water last night and I'm going to call ANOTHER feed store this morning.

Lesson learned: Call the vet and do my own research next time.

When mine get the sniffles I put ACV (apple cider vinegar) in their water. It should be the kind with the mother (residue seen in the bottom of the bottle) which I buy at the feed store. Braggs is a good brand. It helps to clear up congestion and has worked very well for us. And there is no problem with using the eggs like there is with most meds. And it's all natural. Just one or two Tablespoons per gallon of water should do the trick and it's fine for all the other birds too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info BeckyLa!
big_smile.png
I would have much rather used an organic method instead of antibiotics, and I seen some peeps on the board had used the cider vinegar, but I didn't see anything specific to treating the sneezes and sniffles until you posted. I will definitely keep this in mind for next time.

I ended up getting the Terramycin powder and have it in their water, so I think since I've already got it going, I think I'll just stick with it for now. Also, one of the two chickens that are sick has a pretty bad runny nose now, so I want to make sure I have somthing strong enough to knock it out at this stage.

you might also consider giving them three drops of polyvisol in beak for a week and then taper off ... vit A is often implicated with runny beaks...

Back
Top Bottom