Sulfadimethoxine use?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicks Galore3, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Has anyone ever successfully treated chickens with CRD with sulfadimethoxine soluble powder? I got it along with some VetRX to treat my chickens. I was hoping the VetRX would do the job, but I'm hearing more wheezing in my coop and the ones who are the sickest aren't getting better. The sulf. powder package says in can be used on meat chickens, but does not say anything about egg layers. I know I'd probably have to throw away their eggs for awhile, and as painful as that is, I don't care as long as my chooks get better!! Also, would it be okay to treat the whole flock even though all of them don't "have" CRD?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I haven't used it in my flock, but it is commonly used to treat coryza, and some intestinal infections such as coccidiosis and fowl cholera. It is similar to Sulmet. CRD is an abbreviation for chronic respiratory disease which usually refers to mycoplasma or MG, even though coryza can be chronic. It would be best to identify the disease which can be done with nasal swabs by your local extension agent or department of agriculture. MG is more commonly treated with Tylan, oxytetracycline, Gallimycin, and Denagard.

3. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Thank you. I cannot find any Tylan anywhere near me. The only thing I can find is the oxytetracycline. Does that have an egg withdrawal period?

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I just read a study that says 9 days withdrawal time for oxytetraxycline, while previous posts on BYC have said 21 days.

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x2 on using the Oxy rather than the Sulfa....CRD needs a broader spectrum antibiotic as the sulfa types only treat gram negative bacteria (like eColi, Salmonella, psedomonas, Coryza, and will also treat Coccida).

I agree with the 9 to 10 days...typically with the cyclines 10 to 14 is sufficient.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24853528

LofMc

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sulfa drugs do treat some gram positive bacteria also, such as strep and staph, but is used more in poultry for cocci, coryza, and fowl cholera.

7. Acornewell

Acornewell Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2012
    LaOtto, Indiana
    Sulfadimethoxine is Albon. We were told by our Poultry vet that it is the safest of the Sulfa type drugs for chickens. The other drugs have side effects.

8. getreal

getreal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2014
    u.p. MI
    but can you use it for egg layers?

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Actually, sulfa drugs are not the safest drugs for chickens, since they can have side effects on kidneys and hearing. Dosage should be foolowed carefully. For coccidiosis, the safest drug is amprollium (Corid, Ampromed, Coxoid) that treats all know strains of coccidia that affects chickens. Either is used commonly for egg layers. There is no egg withdrawal with Corid (amprollium) since it is not an antibiotic. Sulfa drugs (Sulmet, Sulfadimethoxine, Dimethox, Albon) are antibiotics, and waiting several weeks after treatment to resume eating eggs would be wise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by