Sulfadimethoxine

kuhnse51

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 19, 2014
Does anyone know where to buy this? Does it work the same as corid? I have a couple chicks with sour smelling breath but no other signs of illness and read it may be choryza and that this med could help. I also have a chick who is recovering from some sort of illness that I think may have been cocci but I'm not sure so I want to give them some medicine to make sure and also see if it clears up the stinky breath in the other 2.

Sulfadimethoxine is a sulfa antibiotic drug, and may be available at some farm stores, and online. Di-Methox, Albon, and Sulfamed G are other brand names of it. It treats the 2 worst strains (out of 9) that affect chickens. Sulmet may be easier to find at most farm stores and both will treat cocci and coryza. Corid treats all 9 strains of cocci, is more gentle, so that's why more people use it. If they have sour-smelling breath, maybe they have a crop issue such as sour crop. Coryza apparently smells rotten from what I have read. Here is a link for Sulfadimethoxine, and if you enlarge the picture, it gives dosage: https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/sulfadimethox_albon_.html

Most people treat with Corid for 5-7 days for an acute outbreak. There is a lot of difference in how people use it. Some treat for 5 days, then use a lower dose at specific periods for prevention or re-infection, but 5-7 days is what most use. The reason most use Corid is that it isn't an antibiotic, and it treats all 9 strains that cause cocci.

If they have sour-smelling breath, maybe they have a crop issue such as sour crop. Coryza apparently smells rotten from what I have read.
I was thinking sour crop because of how sour it smells but the chickens have no other signs of sour crop. No squishy crop, no lethargy, they are eating/drinking and pooping normally. So that is what has me confused. They have had smelly breath for the better part of 2 weeks. Also, they are only on starter crumbles and the occasional mashed egg. I also tried some minced garlic to clear up their breath, but that didn't seem to help. At only 3.5 weeks old it seems odd that they would have sour crop, but I could be very wrong because I am new to this whole chicken thing. I also have a chick who has the same smelly breath and it started when she was less than a week old, so I'm a little lost.

Thanks for all the replies! :)

I don't think there are any vets around my area but I'll ask around to see if anyone I know knows about something close. Thanks again eggcessive!

Back
Top Bottom