SULFAMED-G® SOLUBLE POWDER (brand of sulfadimethoxine) questions

MN newbie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 31, 2014
I have been researching info. on the web and can't find anything that says how long after my hens are off of this med, that it is safe to eat their eggs. And does anyone know what the side effects are of eating their eggs? (yes, we ate 3 of them before considering that it may not have been safe). I know, feeling very stupid, but learning a ton from having chickens. :-/

I am wondering the same thing. Our vet prescribed Sulfatrim (sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim) and I forgot to ask how long before we can eat the eggs. We go back to the vet on Tuesday, so I'll ask & post the answer then if someone else hasn't answered yet.

If you are allergic to sulfas, any amount would be a bad idea. In general find out FIRST what withdrawal times are, and if the medication is on the very short list of approved drug treatments at all. I will use unapproved drugs if that's the only choice, BUT with full knowledge and plans to handle the situation in place first. Mary

I guess it would at that. I have no allergies but I would do well to remember that there are people who do. Now I didn't say go eat them....but probably after three eggs they would have noticed a reaction!
There really aren't many drugs approved for chickens though and that's aggravating. I understand it's an economic issue but it does leave chicken owners hanging a bit.

Back
Top Bottom