Sulfamethazine Sustain III bolus dosage math

Serenity Sav

Songster
8 Years
Jan 23, 2014
Albuquerque
I’m trying to treat some teenage pullets for what I’m pretty positive is a resistant/recurring cocci strain (blackish sticky poop consistently, extremely smelly/bubbly and getting stuck to carriage feathers of the fluffier ones). Also my pullets are looking a bit pale, which may be from anemia, and they have no indications of a blood parasite, though I’ve treated with ivermectin to curb feather mites/possibly helmint in the past.

All of my local sources are completely out of any amprolium-based meds right now. I’ve ordered some online, but while I’m waiting for it to arrive, I wanted to begin treating with Sulfamethazine and see how that helps it.
What I have is Sustain III Calf Bolus, each bolus contains 8.02g of sulfa.
Is anyone able to help me with the math on dosing my flock? I can mix with water, do a drench, or just give part of the bolus direct by mouth.
On a side note, does anyone have any recommendations on other non-amprolium cocci treatments for particularly strong strains? I’m thinking of ordering toltrazuril, but it’s hard to find it that’s not a gigantic tub for horses, or a tiny tiny bottle for songbirds.

I have this:
1611461509346.jpeg

I like math but I don't know exactly what a bolus is. Never used one of those.

It says here to use in water 0.1% for 2 days, then 0.05% for 4 days.

Water weighs 8.34 lbs (3783 g) per gallon.
0.1% of that: 3783 g x 0.001 = 3.783 g of Sulfamethazine per gallon of water.
0.05% is half of that: 3.783 g / 2 = 1.892 g of Sulfamethazine per gallon of water.

Each bolus contains 8.02g of sulfa so you need to dissolve 1/2 of the bolus in a gallon of water for 2 days, then dissolve 1/4 of the bolus in a gallon of water for 4 days.

Thank you so much. A bolus is like a gigantic pill. One bolus is about the size of my thumb.
Do you know if it would be an option to give a portion of the bolus direct by mouth, or could I use the above dosage for a drench?

here’s a picture of the product with a bolus in front of the container btw ☺️
sustain-iii-calf-bolus.jpg

Thank you so much. A bolus is like a gigantic pill. One bolus is about the size of my thumb.
Do you know if it would be an option to give a portion of the bolus direct by mouth, or could I use the above dosage for a drench?

That is a big pill. What I saw was you had to dissolve it in their drinking water for several days.
I don't know if you can give it straight like that or not. Someone else here may know.

What worries me is that it is time-release, and I am not sure how that really works. The directions I read say to give it orally, I did not see anything about putting it in water.

Back
Top Bottom