sulmet and can they get cocci again?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beccas, Jun 6, 2011.

1. beccas

beccas New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    Does anyone know what 21 days of sulmet low dose in water half of cap, well I took her outside today for an hour and she only stood there and did not move, brought her back in, went to work, has not eaten or drank water, won't eat yogurt which she loved, and took her back outside for not even five minutes, she pecked the ground but now cannot keep her balance, I am hoping that maybe I let her stay out too long yesterday and it was hot as heck! I will just wait and see and hopes she snaps out of it her poop is not solid, just watery with alot of whitecap in it. If she does not eat tomorrow in the am, I will have to syringe her some water and food. I do not want her to die if I can help it, could she have cocci again from letting her be outside?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    How old are they? Where do you live? What makes you think it was cocci? Could it be heat?

3. beccas

beccas New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    I have been dealing with cocci, for 21 days, I have learned alot while surfing for answers on this site, glad it is available. I had 2 but one died, two weeks ago, since I did not have sulmet on time which leaves me with the one that is healing and doing very good, but I have some questions as to helping her build her immune system, I took her poop to the vet, that is why i know what I was dealing with, next her diarr would not stop so I took it again, she was treated with strongid for worms, still on the sulmet per vet inst. Now this is my plan, Since it is very humid this is the very thing that started this cocci on top of letting them mingle with big hens, she is now born last week of Feb, 2011, making her three months old, she has been isolated inside her original brooder, and likes to fly out, or perch and likes the ac, So I am reintroducing her to outside again, so when I bring her back in at night she will have her sulmet, and her medicated food when she comes back in., she has another worming due in one more week. I would like, appreciate all the help or redirection / feed back on my reintroduction the real world.

she is still not eaten no interest, just huddled over, still watery whitecap, and has a second dose of strongid next week to complete. first dose was given on 5-28-11. No feed store around has corid, amprolium, but was looking on line to order either.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Ah, well, that's a whole lot more information. Reintroducing is always a hassle; it seems to vary a lot how much of one. One approach is to put her on the roost at night, hoping the others will think she belongs when they find her there in the AM. Apparently works sometimes. Another is to get everyone distracted (foraging, some exciting treat, etc.) then reintroduce -- seems to work pretty well if they have, say, a backyard, where they can get away from one another. You probably know that people often have them near each other but separated by a cage or chicken wire or some such, for a few days or weeks first.

We have a writeup on introducing new hens; maybe there is something useful in there. The first part is about quarantine, so just scroll down.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

5. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    I know you are dosing re the vet's instructions, but I would certainly worry about toxicity to the meds. Sulfas can be very damaging to the kidneys over too long a period of time. The diarrhea could be caused by the heat. I would definitely NOT worm her while she is ill. I guess if she were mine, I would put her onto vitamins and electrolytes - probably pedialyte mixed with some poly-vi-sol and some kaytee exact hand feeding formula (for caged birds) and try to give her system a chance to recover from all the meds. Good luck & hope she makes it.

6. beccas

beccas New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    So much thanks to all the support given and I am eager to learn more, I enjoyed the introduction extremely helplful info. As of yesterday my three month old bc maran died a couple of hours after I came home to check, but no more could be done, her left foot was turning in making her unable to walk. It was sad, however at the same time I felt like she was suffering before I knew this happend, had put a call into the vet for her to call cause I was making the decision to put her down, she was not in, so thinking back, I started getting upset about the vets around here that know little about poultry care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by