Sulmet/Corid?s-Need Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mylilchix, Sep 8, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I discovered this morning that a young roo who was moved outside yesterday has cocci. He was fine yesterday and started pooping blood this morning. I've removed him and the 2 buddies he was with from my bantam coop. I've cleaned and bleached his bloody poo spots and gave the healthy bantams a big bowl of yogurt.

I'm waiting for the feedstore to open, so I don't know if they carry sulmet or corid yet. How much of each do I put into a 1 gallon waterer? How long do I add it to water? How long do throw out any eggs?

Thanks for you help!!
    Sonja

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The sulmet bottle will have the per gallon instructions on the label; I believe it is one ounce per gallon for two days, then 1/2 ounce per gallon for an additional 4.

Not sure about corrid--none of the stores here carry it.

3. Brickman House

Brickman House Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    My Sulmet bottle gives the dosage for poultry as two tablespoons per gallon of water.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Two tablespoons = 1 fluid ounce

5. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I cut the dose down so as not to waste it. Then I change it out every day to keep it fresh.
    Corrid was 1/4 tsp for 2 cups.--1/2 tsp for 4 cups. So whatever you think he will drink.
    But do check your bottle for any difference in measurements.
    Also, I would dose everyone he was around.
    I gave mine full dose for 5 days and 1/2 strength for 5 days. I am not sure if that is what you are supposed to do or not but that is what someone posted to me when I had this problem. Mine are all healthy now.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The bottle lists the length of time necessary for treatment. As a clarification to the above post, you can mix a smaller amount than a gallon if you are only treating one bird; however, the strength needs to be the same concentration. 2T per gallon is .5T per quart.

For a gallon
    2T = 30ml

For a quart
    .5T = 7.5ml

For a pint
    .25T = 3.75ml

For a cup
    .125T = 1.875ml

HOWEVER, if your bird has coccidiosis, chances are very high that any other birds cooped/penned with him do also, and should also be treated.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  7. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Thank you for correcting me, I will keep that information for future use.

8. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you all very much for your help! I wasn't sure what I'd find on the package. I've bought some meds that only gave dosages for giant waterers.

How long should I toss their eggs?

Thanks,
    Sonja

9. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yes, too many meds have instructions like add one packet to hundreds of gallons of water. That may be helpful for a commercial poultry farm, but is completely impractical for those of us who do not have thousands of birds.

Toss eggs for two weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by