sulmet doses

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by srfjeld, Jun 25, 2011.

1. srfjeld

srfjeld Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    The sulmet I purchased called for 2 TBS per gallon and they are still in the brooder using a quart jar so I did half a TBSP per qt. I change their water about 2-3 times per day and always refill with the same dosage. I started them on it last evening. My bottle is vague... How long do you treat for cocci?

2. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    My bottle was very clear about the dosage and days. The label is sort of in two parts. While holding it roll it to the left to see the next column and there it goes into the actual # of days and amt. After I think 2 days you reduce and treat for x number of days more. I'd check my bottle but it got thrown away and I haven't been to the store yet this afternoon for a new one.

3. srfjeld

srfjeld Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    duh!!! I must be getting old and in need of some glasses. [​IMG] It's divided up strangely b/c it went from dosage of chickens to administration of cattle and I never looked further down to see the administration of chickens and fowl. So yes, treat for full dose first 2 days and then reduce dosage next 4 days.

I'm not worried about my healthy chickens drinking it, but the one who is ill and in isolation is being fed the water through a syringe. I've been giving her about 6 mill every hour or so... should I be forcing more into her to get more meds?

4. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    It's tricky, I had one that was sick and immediately started treatment on the group. Most in the brooder are rooster chicks so I removed the 2 pullets that were bright eyed and running around with the others as a precaution since I wanted the pullets to stay healthy.

Lost one roo chick in the brooder by the next day. Kept that group on treated food and water and during that week one of the pullets that was moved to the garage just started to seem not well. Would not open her eyes, acted like she just felt yucky and wanted to be alone in the corner. Her stool never looked bad or runny. She just looked like she felt crummy. Kept those two on treated food and water for a week and one morning checked on her and she was looking up and me and acting like a whole new girl. I kept her in that brooder until yesterday and moved her back to the main group. So, they don't always look sick at the same time and can spread it out over a longer period of time. You want to nip this in the bud and stop it, not let it linger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by