Sulmet- I just finished treatment....now blood in stool again

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ELOISEtheCHICKEN, Sep 3, 2008.

1. ELOISEtheCHICKEN

ELOISEtheCHICKEN Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    I just finished treating my flock yesturday with Sulmet for having runny bloody poo ......and now I noticed that at least one of the chickens still has traces of blood in its stool. What should I do?

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    antibiotics can cause chickens to have bloody poo. I would watch for other symptons to appear.

Please note that I am not by any means a chicken expert and hopefully someone will chime in and give you the answer for sure that you are seeking. [​IMG]

3. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    By the time blood appears in the droppings, damage has already occurred to the digestive tract. I also understand that Sulmet is very hard on the digestive system. What dosage/number of days did you use on the Sulmet?

What else are you feeding?

How old are your chickens?

What is your weather?

Are they free ranged, penned or caged?

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    It would help to know if you followed a long enough regimen to eradicate the 'cocci bugs'. Maybe you could give for a few more days? After a good treatment you need to give probiotics to get the good bacteria back in the gut. I suppose some liguid vitamins or electrolyte and glucose pack would help too. Yoghurt would work for a probiotic. Stoney brook Farm is the best. I would give for several days, at least 5.

Worms can also be a diagnosis for blood in the stools. Pumpkin seeds are good for worms.

Good Luck

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  5. ELOISEtheCHICKEN

ELOISEtheCHICKEN Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    I gave them the recommended dose on the back of the bottle.
    Two days full dose, 4 days half dose.
    They are free ranging birds. but they are eating grower pellets and scraps from the table. (no meat)
    The weather has been in the 70's and 80's for the last couple of weeks.
    They are all ages. Most of them in the 12 - 25 week old age

I didn't know to give them yogurt, I will get some today. It makes sense to give them yogurt after antibiotics, thank you for mentioning that.

6. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:You must have a differnent Sulmet than what we use, our lable says 2 tablespoons per gallon of water for 3 days, the 1 tablespoon per gal. for 5 days.

Steve in NC

7. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd suggest some plain unflavored yogurt to see if the good bacteria would help, 1 full day to see results- separate bloody stool chicks, then call vet or retreat with sulmet. I treated 2 days recommended and 2 days 1/2 strength, 2 days 1/4 strength, add a bit of sugar to the full strength liquid to keep them interested. I used about 1/2 tsp sugar in a quart water jar and still fed yogurt.
    Are they acting dumpy? Do you have a light where they can curl up and sleep, its probably warm enough where you are, but a small watt bulb in the corner of a tote so they have a choice.
    Gooooood Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by